Follow Us:
Thursday, December 09, 2021

Police claim Hyderabad attacks foiled,arrest Lashkar man

Hyderabad Police said they have arrested a Lashkar operative who was allegedly planning to carry out bomb blasts in crowded areas of the city.

Written by Sreenivas Janyala | Hyderabad |
May 4, 2010 2:16:46 am

The Hyderabad Police on Monday said they have arrested a Lashkar-e-Toiba operative who was allegedly planning to carry out bomb blasts in crowded areas of the city.

Hyderabad Police Commissioner A K Khan said Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq,34,was arrested during searches conducted in the city during the past two days in view of terror alerts. Haq was also involved in the 2006 grenade attack in Odeon Cinema theatre in Hyderabad in which two persons were injured,the police added.

From Khanapur in Adilabad district,Haq had been using various aliases including Abu Abdullah. He lived at Edibazar in Bhavaninagar and worked as a cab driver with a travel agency.

Police said that though Haq kept low since 2006,he had recently become active again and had got in touch with LeT handlers in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Police found two hand grenades and a pistol,both of Chinese make,and six rounds of ammunition from him.

Khan said Haq has been associated with terror groups since a long time. At 17,he left for Saudi Arabia in search of work and lived there for several years. About 10 years ago,he started frequenting mosques and religious institutions. There he came in touch with a Pakistani national,Abu Ali,who used to show CDs of the Gujarat riots and preach that Islam was being suppressed in India. Abu Ali introduced Haq to LeT commander Abdul Aziz alias Abu Rehan alias Vali,the police said.

Vali persuaded Haq to go to Pakistan for training in 2002. After landing in Karachi,Haq went to Muzaffarabad where he was received by one Abu Khasim. “He was trained in firearms including AK-47 and explosives in a LeT camp for one month. After training,he was given a specific task to create terror in Hyderabad,” Khan said. “He and seven other Indians were sent back to India. He infiltrated through the Poonch sector in J&K. Haq was also asked to operate as a sleeper cell in Hyderabad.”

Since then,Haq worked with various travel companies as a cab driver and was also continuously in touch with his handler Vali.

In December 2005,he received a call from Vali who asked him to go to Delhi where he received four hand grenades and a pistol with six rounds from an unknown courier,the police said. He then returned to Hyderabad.

His handlers then put pressure on him to execute some sensational attack. On May 7,2006,he went to Odeon Deluxe theatre at Chikkadpally and lobbed a grenade,the police said. He left another grenade in a dustbin as he escaped.

Police Commissioner Khan said,“Though he remained inactive since 2006,of late,he wanted to revive his contact with LeT handlers and the latter also showed interest to revive terror activities in Hyderabad through him. He had been asked to cause explosions in Hyderabad city by using the two grenades that were in his possession.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard