Pak to hold president poll a week earlier

Pak to hold president poll a week earlier

Apex court advances election to July 30 in view of Ramzan

Pakistan Supreme Court Wednesday ordered holding of presidential election on July 30,a week ahead of the original date,in response to a petition from a close aide of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif seeking early date due to the ongoing Ramzan.

The Court’s ruling for polls to be held on an earlier date is to enable a number of lawmakers,who would be part of the electoral college,to complete rituals associated with the holy month of Ramzan.

The Election Commission had announced that the polls would be held on August 6,which falls on 27th day of the Muslim holy month of fasting which is considered as sacred. Raja Zafrul Haq,Chairman of PML-N had asked the court to change the date in a petition filed Tuesday.

Also,Wednesday was the last date of submission of candidatures and Mamnoon Hussain of ruling PML-N and Raza Rabbani of Pakistan People’s Party (PPP),the two key contenders,filed nomination in Islamabad.


Hussain,a leading businessman from the port city of Karachi,is an old party hand and loyalist of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. If elected,Hussain would be the 11th president of Pakistan.

The new President will be sworn on September 8 and will replace incumbent Asif Ali Zardari.

Suicide bombers target ISI office,

7 killed

Karachi: A group of suicide bombers stormed a compound in southern Pakistan housing an office of the ISI,blowing themselves up and killing at least seven people and injuring over 40. Geo News channel quoted intelligence sources as saying that at least four terrorists,wearing suicide vests and carrying automatic weapons,were involved in the attackat the Inter-Services Intelligence office at Barrage Colony in Sukkur.

DG Rangers Major General Rizwan Akhtar was quoted by Dawn News as saying that at least seven people were killed and over 40 injured in the brazen attack. Akhtar confirmed security forces had killed all attackers and that the ISI compound had been cleared of the militants.