The Pakistani Taliban have withdrawn their offer of holding peace talks with the government.
Spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan said in a video sent to reporters on Monday that the group temporarily postponed its offer because the government had not shown a serious effort to follow through with negotiations.
With masked armed men standing behind him,Ihsan demanded the people should not participate in public gatherings and rallies organised by the PPP and ANP. He claimed both the parties were on the Talibans hitlist,The Express Tribune reported on its website.
The website of Dawn newspaper reported that Ihsan had warned people not to participate in the un-Islamic democratic system which only serves the interests of infidels and enemies of Islam.
At the end of last year,the Pakistani Taliban leadership said they were open to peace talks.
However,TTP chief Hakimullah Mehsud had made it clear that his fighters would not disarm.
The government responded positively,but apparently little progress has been made.
Pak SC orders Rehman Maliks indictment
Islamabad: Pakistans Supreme Court Monday ordered indictment of ex-Interior Minister Rehman Malik for contempt of court over interfering in a probe into alleged corruption in a state-run steel firm,after rejecting his mercy plea. A three-judge bench,headed by CJ Iftikhar Chaudhry,said Maliks response to a contempt of court notice issued to him last year was unsatisfactory. The bench observed he had interfered in the functioning of the court. PTI