Saying that issues of national security are paramount,the Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the state government and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation not to issue any further permissions to the controversial Adarsh Society in Cuffe Parade.
The court passed the order while hearing a petition filed by the Union government through the defence department which demanded directions from the court to implement an order to demolish the controversial 31-storey structure.
The order had been passed by the Ministry of Environment and Forests in January last year.
The department reiterated that the building is a serious security threat to nearby defence installations.
In response to the petition,a Division Bench of Justice P B Majmudar and Justice R D Dhanuka said,No one has the right to ignore the security of the nation. The defence of the country comes first,everything else is secondary in nature.
In a lighter vein,Justice Majmudar also said in the future,people might try to sell the Gateway of India as well.
The judges also reiterated a suggestion made in a previous hearing that the building can be transferred to the defence department instead of being demolished.
Uproar in Ktaka House over Wakf property report
Opposition leaders in Karnataka have demanded an independent inquiry into the alleged misuse of Wakf properties in the state,as outlined in a report presented to Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda by state minorities commission chairman Anwar Manippady.
The issue created a furore in the House on Tuesday,with the Opposition going on the frontfoot after the ruling BJP raised the issue. While some MLAs sought a CBI probe,others demanded action against Manippady if the allegations are proved false.