North Koreas military said it placed all its missile and artillery units on the highest alert on Tuesday,ordering them to be ready to hit South Korea,as well as the United States and its military installations in the Pacific islands of Hawaii and Guam.
The threat from the Norths Korean Peoples Army Supreme Command came only hours after President Park Geun-hye of South Korea warned that the North Korean leadership could ensure its survival only when it abandons its nuclear weapons,long-range missiles,provocations and threats.
In its latest threat,North Korea Tuesday said all its strategic rocket and long-range artillery units are assigned to strike bases of US imperialist aggressor troops in the US mainland and on Hawaii and Guam and other operational zone in the Pacific as well as all the enemy targets in South Korea and its vicinity.
They should be mindful that everything will be reduced to ashes and flames the moment the first attack is unleashed, the North Korean command said in a statement carried by the Norths official Korean Central News Agency.
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula have risen following North Koreas launching of a three-stage rocket in December and its third nuclear test last month. In response,Washington and Seoul spearheaded a United Nations Security Council resolution imposing more sanctions on North Korea and,earlier this month,and began their annual joint military drills aimed at warning North Korea against attacking the South.