A tribal girl,who fell into a pot of egg curry while the mid-day meal was being served in her school on Saturday,succumbed to burn injuries at a hospital in Cuttack on Sunday morning.
Banita Kanhar,a class III student of Girischandrapur Kalyan Sevashram in Jujumara in Sambalpur,Orissa suffered over 70 per cent injuries.
Since egg is served once a week,children were too eager to have it and fell over each other to be served first, said Prashant Kumar Mishra,headmaster of the school.
Banita was taken to a local primary health centre,shifted to the VSS Medical College and Hospital in Burla,and then to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack as the Burla hospital did not have adequate treatment facilities for burn patients.
There have been several incidents over mid-day meal scheme in Orissa over the last few months. Early this month,a dead lizard was found in the mid-day meal at a primary school at Hinjili in Ganjam district. In July at least 39 students fell ill after consuming food,contaminated by a dead scorpion in mid-day meal in Dhenkanal district.