‘Men in terror alert turn out to be Lahore businessmen,guard’

Union Home Secretary R K Singh maintained that the advisory was based on “credible information” but refrained from commenting on its contents as well as the photographs.

Written by Press Trust Of India | New Delhi | Published: May 11, 2012 1:09:35 am

A terror alert issued by a central agency tasked with gathering external intelligence has left authorities red-faced as some ‘terrorists’ identified in the advisory were reported to be two businessmen and a guard from Lahore.

Union Home Secretary R K Singh maintained that the advisory was based on “credible information” but refrained from commenting on its contents as well as the photographs.

Based on the “credible information”,the intelligence agency warned several states,including Maharashtra,Gujarat and Goa,that five operatives of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba have sneaked into India and were plotting to target vital installations.

Mumbai Police had circulated three of the five photos last week after it was tipped off by the intelligence agency. Home Minister P Chidambaram and Home Secretary R K Singh also made a reference to this at the recent Chief Ministers conference while pitching for establishment of the controversial NCTC,which is facing stiff opposition from several states.

After a Mumbai-based newspaper reported the advisory along with the photographs,Pakistani media claimed that the three were at present living in Lahore. Two of them were businessmen while the third one was a security guard,it said.

According to Pakistani media reports,the two businessmen were identified as Atif and Mehtab Butt and the third one was a guard identified as Baber.

The businessmen have also approached the local police station for security after their photographs were released,media reports said.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement