Follow Us:
Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Man accused of tapping Amar phone locks himself in,kin say was framed

It has been five years,and Bajad’s family says that he was framed in the case

Written by VijaitaSingh | New Delhi |
May 12, 2011 12:53:37 am

The day the Supreme Court lifted the gag order on the Amar Singh tapes,the man who stands accused of recording the conversations locked himself in his home and refused all visitors.

Bhupinder Singh Bajad (32) who ran Metro detective agency from South Extension in south Delhi was arrested along with three others in January 2006 on charges of allegedly tapping Amar Singh’s landline number.

It has been five years,and Bajad’s family says that he was framed in the case.

Belonging to a rich agricultural family of Hiranki village on the outskirts of northwest Delhi,Bajad started his detective agency possibly because he “wanted to be different from others in his village”.

Best of Express Premium

Sanjiv Bajaj: ‘Like GST Council, need a platform to sort Centre-state iss...Premium
Explained: Where coal blocks cases standPremium
How to tackle the inflation spiralPremium
After Gyanvapi, needle moves within BJP on Kashi, Mathura: ‘Shivlin...Premium

Despite repeated requests,Bajad did not come out of his room for an interview this afternoon.

“I do not know why he chose to open a detective agency. He landed in trouble only two and a half months after he opened it,” said Narendra Singh,Bajad’s eldest brother,who owns an automobile service station.

Bajad was earlier involved in the family’s farming business,and he is back to it now,Narendra said. “As rich and influential people were involved (in the case),there was always a threat to his life,” Narendra said.

Bajad has three children,a 14-year-old boy and 11-year-old twins — a boy and a girl. After graduating from Swami Shraddhanand College in nearby Alipur,Bajad rented an office for his detective agency for Rs 10,000. One winter morning in 2006,his life took a sudden turn — when Special Cell officers arrived at the family’s Hiranki village home to arrest him.

Bajad was accused of forging two letters — from the then Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ranjit Narayan on October 22 to the then Principal Secretary (Home) R Narayan Swamy seeking permission to tap Amar Singh’s phone,and Swamy’s reply,purportedly granting permission.

Bajad then allegedly forwarded both letters to Reliance Infocomm,seeking access to telephone number 011-39565414. Believing this to be an official request,the telecom company,through a programme in their system,gave a parallel line from 011-39565414 to Bajad’s mobile phone number 9811358986,the Special Cell had alleged at the time.

“We were shunned by the villagers and everyone looked at us with suspicion. We never had any financial problems,I do not know how he got into all of this,” Narendra said of Bajad today. “The police had to nail someone and my brother was a soft target,” he added.

“He spent four months in jail and those were the most painful days of his life. He was even tortured by the police. They could not catch the real culprit. My brother is innocent,” said Bhishm Singh,Bajad’s youngest brother.

The trial is ongoing at the Tis Hazari courts.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard