Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

Mahindra forms two JVs in defence

The joint venture (JV) partners will invest Rs 200 crore in the two new entities.

Written by Agencies | New Delhi | Published: March 30, 2012 9:52:07 pm

Mahindra & Mahindra today announced formation of two separate joint ventures in defence sector targeting a minimum turnover of USD 1 billion in the next ten years.

The joint venture (JV) partners will invest Rs 200 crore in the two new entities.

The first JV is between Mahindra & Mahindra and government of Israel-owned Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and another one is with US-based Telephonics Corporation.

The Indian partner will own 74 per cent stake in each,and the remaining 26 per cent will be with be the respective international entities.

“What we are seeing Mahindra & Mahindra do is to focus on where India needs to go in future,” Mahindra & Mahindra Vice Chairman and Managing Director Anand Mahindra told reporters while announcing the new ventures.

The JV with Rafael will focus on development and manufacturing of products such as Torpedo Defence Systems,Electronic Warfare Systems,Advanced Armour Solutions and Remotely Operated Weapon Stations for Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicles (FICV).

“Over a period of ten years,we are looking at a turnover of USD 500 million from this JV and if we are selected for the supply of FICV by the government of India then we expect that the turnover would immediately become one billion dollars,” Mahindra said.

Mahindra & Mahindra is one of the four companies which have received Expression of Interest (EOI) to supply around 2,000 units.

An initial investment of Rs 100 crore in the JV with Rafael will be made. The JV will also set up a facility in Pune where mostly naval systems will be made,he said.

Commenting on the JV with Telephonics Corporation Mahindra said: “A similar amount of investment is being made by the partners and in the next ten years,we are expecting turnover of half a billion dollar.”

This JV has been set up primarily for Surveillance Radar Systems,Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) and Communication Systems.

In addition,the JV also plans to provide systems for air traffic management services,homeland security and other emerging surveillance requirements.

The joint venture will set up a facility by early next year in Bangalore,Mahindra added.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App