Killing of man in 2005 unfortunate,says Armyhttps://indianexpress.com/article/news-archive/web/killing-of-man-in-2005-unfortunate-says-army/

Killing of man in 2005 unfortunate,says Army

The statement said an inquiry had substantiated these facts

Over six years after one of its guards killed a 30-year-old man at Nowshera,the Army described the incident as “unfortunate”,saying it “had no option but to open fire” as the man had trespassed into its premises and did not respond to repeated warnings.

Reacting to a report in The Indian Express on February 13,2012,the Army has issued a statement that said: “… Surinder Kumar,trespassed into military premises… On being challenged by the sentry,the individual… started running further inside … the sentry had no other option but to open fire.”

The statement said an inquiry had substantiated these facts. “Since the day of this unfortunate incident”,it added,the Army had been,without fail,providing “assistance in kind” to Ravinder’s mother Santosh Kumari. Besides,her adopted son had been provided employment,albeit irregular,it added.

“The Army stands firm on its commitment to provide support for construction of a house for the lady,provided land is made available,” the statement said. Santosh lives in a one-room mud house.

Surinder was shot dead on October 1,2005. The Army had then claimed that he threw a “grenade-like object” at the sentry,who “shot him dead” thinking it to be a fidayeen attack.