Jharkhand youth killed in encounter not a rebel: Kinhttps://indianexpress.com/article/news-archive/web/jharkhand-youth-killed-in-encounter-not-a-rebel-kin/

Jharkhand youth killed in encounter not a rebel: Kin

Naveen was a resident of Khora Patra Toli that falls within the Gumla police limits

The family of the youth,Naveen Kumar Sahu,who was killed in a March 21 police encounter in Pakri Chaura,Gumla district,have alleged that the police are wrongfully portraying him as a leader of a Left-wing extremist group. They have claimed that Naveen was a student of Kartik Oraon College in Gumla and not a member of PLFI.

Naveen was a resident of Khora Patra Toli that falls within the Gumla police limits. “He was on his bike,going from Bansdih village to Khora Patra Toli at about 4.30 pm. We have houses in both villages,” said Naveen’s uncle Tej Narayan Sahu. “The police assumed that he was a PLFI member and killed him. They understood their mistake only later.”

However,the police version is that Naveen was killed in an encounter between the PLFI squad of sub-zonal commander Rajesh Tiger and the police. The police claim that Tiger’s team had gone to collect “levy” from a local businessman Ravi Sahu when the police arrived. While Naveen was killed,two PLFI personnel escaped the shootout.

Gladson Dungdung,general secretary of NGO Jharkhand Human Rights Movement,has already written to the National Human Rights Commission and the National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights on the issue.


“In the autopsy report,the age of Naveen Kumar Sahu has been shown as 23-24 years. However,according to the education certificate of Jharkhand Academic Council,Ranchi,the date of birth of Naveen is April 4,1996,which means he was merely 17 year-old,” Dungdung said.

Naveen’s family has also obtained a letter from the principal of Kartik Oraon College,certifying that he was a Class XI student. His mother Bhagwanti Devi and two brothers were in Ranchi on Thursday,meeting various officials.

Gumla SP,Rakesh Bansal,rejected all allegations. “No,there was no mistake on our part. I am not confirming whether it was a PLFI squad,that is under investigation. But we can confirm that there was an extortion call. When the police reached the spot and asked the men to surrender,they did not. There was an encounter and two of the men ran away with the extortion amount,” he said.