IRANIAN Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif hit back at US Secretary of State John Kerry late Tuesday and blamed divisions between Western powers for failure of talks over Tehrans disputed nuclear programme in Geneva last week.
Responding to remarks by Kerry in Abu Dhabi Monday,Zarif said blaming Iran only served to undermine confidence in the negotiations which are set for another round on November 20.
The United States,the European Union and Iran worked intensively together for months on a proposal to help end the 10-year stand-off over Irans nuclear programme,diplomats said,but talks in Geneva between Tehran and six world powers over the deal ended on Saturday without agreement.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Paris could not accept a fools game – in other words,a weak deal with Iran.
Diplomats from other Western nations at first reacted angrily and accused the French of trying to upstage the other powers and causing unnecessary trouble for the talks.
On Monday though,Kerry said the major powers were unified on Saturday when we presented a proposal to the Iranians,and the French signed off on it,we signed off on it,and everybody agreed it was a fair proposal. There was unity,but Iran couldnt take it at that particular moment,they werent able to accept that particular thing.
Zarif denied the Iranian side was to blame. Mr Secretary,was it Iran that gutted over half of US draft Thursday night? and publicly commented against it Friday morning? Zarif asked on Twitter.
No amount of spinning can change what happened within 5+1 in Geneva from 6PM Thursday to 545 PM Saturday. But it can further erode confidence, he tweeted. We are committed to constructive engagement. Interaction on equal footing key to achieve shared objectives.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines