In the four months that the Samajwadi Party government has been in power,as many as 75 engineers have been suspended on various charges by Shivpal Singh Yadav,Minister for PWD,Irrigation and Cooperation.
Alleging that the suspensions are arbitrary and vindictive,the UP engineers association has complained to CM Akhilesh Yadav. Consider this:
* On April 4,10 engineers,including engineer-in-chief Jaipal Singh and superintendent engineer Lotu Ram,were suspended for unsatisfactory work after the CM inspected the Sharda barrage in Lakhimpur Kheri.
* Later,13 engineers were suspended for alleged delay and anomalies in allotment of work on the Bansagar irrigation project in Mirzapur and Sonbhadra districts.
* On April 13,Shivpal suspended 17 engineers on charges of sub-standard work after inspecting the widening of the six-lane Lucknow-Kanpur-Hardoi-Sitapur road. Notices were also issued to the chief engineer of central zone,Krishna Kumar,and superintending engineer Atar Singh. In all,25 PWD engineers have been suspended.
* In the UP Rajkiya Nirman Nigam,18 engineers have been suspended for alleged financial anomalies in the construction of memorials during the previous Mayawati regime.
* Three engineers of the UP Project Corporation Limited have been suspended for alleged anomalies in the construction of the Ambedkar park,including project director Kripa Shanker.
We engineers are made scapegoats. Every government pushes us to execute works as per its preference. Technical advice is not considered, said A A Farooqui,general secretary of the UP engineers association.