In the midst of national outrage over suspension of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal,the Uttar Pradesh government Wednesday admitted before the National Green Tribunal (NGT) that illegal sand mining was still continuing in the state.
It also conceded that no permission for sand mining had been given in Noida. Nagpal was suspended allegedly over her massive crackdown on sand mining mafia in Noida. The counsel for the state government,appearing with a top state official,conceded this after NGT chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar confronted them with documents demonstrating rampant sand mining,particularly in Gautam Budh Nagar. The tribunal questioned if the illegal mining was on even after its August 5 order prohibiting illegal sand mining.
The counsel said: It is there Lordship. Yes it (illegal sand mining) is going on at some places. We have not caught anyone till now,as claimed by media reports. The lawyer admitted that while 192 environmental clearances had been given in the state till August 5,no such permission was granted for Noida.
The NGT said: It is clear that indiscriminate sand mining is going on in Gautam Budh Nagar,Noida.
Seeking details of all major mining operators in Noida,it censured the Deputy Commissioner and SP for failure to ensure compliance with the previous NGT order as well as the Supreme Courts 2012 order on illegal mining.
Issuing showcause notices,it summoned both officers on August 29.