November 25, 2009 2:53:51 am
The preparation was accomplished with phenomenal secrecy,was technically flawless with consistency and assured results…The theme was power. It attracted clusters of young men to support the hidden agenda. Leaders know how passions are aroused and how to prevent the same; they however always see what would be beneficial to them rather than what would be good for the nation. This is what happened in Ayodhya.
In the chapter The Mobilisation of Kar sevaks,the report of the Liberhan Commission zeroes in on how the army of karsevaks was created,encouraged and positioned strategically in preparation of the demolition of the mosque on December 6. This,according to the report,happened slowly,since the 1980s,as a local issue was turned into a national one by a political party (the BJP) through LK Advanis rath yatra,provocations,symbolic activities like the shila pujan,the Sankalp Divas,Hindu sammelans and by challenging Muslim loyalty or patriotism through political rhetoric. The report says the Sangh Parivar started building up a political movement in the wrap of a socio-religious movement of a particular community.
The report notes that at first the mobilisation and,in fact,the entire movement for the construction of the Ram temple was carried out by the RSS,with the VHP,sants and sadhus as the local body. Later,the BJP,Bajrang Dal,others like the Shiv Sena and individuals joined in. Underlining the involvement of the icons of the movement,like L K Advani, the report concludes that minus the rath yatra and efforts by the BJP,no substantial mobilisation would have taken place nor would any frenzy of hate towards the disputed structure have been built.
Listing intricate and seamless links between the RSS and its frontal organisations like the BJP and the states they ruled,the report cites incidents of complete synchronisation of objectives towards creating a situation which resulted in the demolition of the Babri Masjid.
Subscriber Only Stories
• At the time of a popular festival of Sawan Jhula in July 1992,when Kalyan Singh was the CM of UP,the report talks of how the already present crowds of pilgrims were used to bolster the appearance of several supporters for the Ram temple…under the garb of this congregation,kar seva,by way of demolition of various structures,construction of chabutra etc was carried out despite the stay order by courts directing the maintaining status quo…
• It was the thinly hidden agenda of the state government of the BJP to convey a message that no force would be used as was in 1990.
• The state through its various acts declared it a step towards construction of the temple by leasing out the acquired land measuring 2.77 acres to the Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas… Ram Dewar was constructed by the government as a boundary wall of the temple under the veil of the security wall… it helped in the mobilisation of the kar sevaks.
• The state had full knowledge about exhorting of sadhus,sants for kar seva…the state government nor the executive took sufficient steps for the security of the disputed structure nor took action against kar sevaks. It permitted sadhus,sants and karsevaks to congregate in July and December 1992 in Ayodhya.
• Mobilisation continued unabated. On November 24,1992,the Chief Minister held a meeting of legislators of his party not to take active part in kar seva,but to support it in their constituencies and to send at least 10 volunteers to Ayodhya from each of the 75,000 gram sabhas,resulting in a congregation of lakhs of kar sevaks.
• BJP and RSS asked its frontal organisations to participate in the karseva for proposed construction of temple,logistical details of the karseva were finalised.
• All states ruled by the BJP saw a befitting send-off and a welcome like heroes by the CM,other state cabinet ministers in the states for karsevaks headed to Ayodhya.
• The UP government provided all amenities to the kar sevaks like food,stay,sanitation,medical facilities etc… the Home Secretary affirmed oral directions for the CMs Principal Secretary to provide the facilities.
• Meeting held at RSS headquarters in Delhi in November 1992 where logistics were worked out.
• L K Advani and M M Joshi restarted their rath yatra for mobilising karsevaks to congregate at Ayodhya on December 6 from Kashi and Mathura respectively… on November 24,on the apprehension of dismissal of the state government,that the VHP decided to make the contingency plan operative which required all the karsevaks to reach Ayodhya and instructions were accordingly issued…
• Kar sevaks were provided introductory letters from their place of origin. They were issued I-cards on reaching Ayodhya when they used to report in the VHP office… arrangements (were made) for their food,stay etc.
• Mobilisation was in a disciplined way for which the RSS was known… the youth wing of the BJP was giving them forms,and thereafter cards were given by the RSS.
• CM continuously objected to even the stationing of paramilitary forces much less deploying them.
• Vinay Katiyar,Champat Rai,Acharya Giriraj Kishore,Mahant Avaidyanath and D B Roy etc. had begun plotting for demolishing the disputed structure,though secretly,right from the beginning.. the methodology adopted was sudden attack on the disputed structure,sudden simultaneous attacks on journalists,proceeding with technical logistics like putting of ropes in the holes and then pulling the wall under the domes…
• The political party mobilising the people for the karseva was the governing political party.
ON THE RSS AND BJP
• The RSS is a tightly structured organisation with BJP as its political wing.
• (The) army of swayam sevaks is trained in martial arts… and despite their claims as a social organisation,have a militant attitude.
• The RSS harangued right from its inception,Hindu Rashtra,Hindutva or cultural nationalism.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.