Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

His mother wanted NDRF man home for b’day on July 1

Just 20 days ago,as he was preparing to return to duty after a short leave

Written by Sreenivas Janyala | Hyderabad | Published: June 27, 2013 4:17:32 am

Just 20 days ago,as he was preparing to return to duty after a short leave,K Vinayagan’s mother Raniamma complained that he won’t be home again on his birthday on July 1. Vinayagan told her he would try to come in August instead of September — his marriage had been fixed for September 9 — on a long leave. That was the last time his mother and father K Krishnan saw him.

The 27-year-old ITBP constable,who was on deputation with the NDRF for the past one year,died in the crash in Uttarakhand on Tuesday.

From a family of security guards and paramilitary personnel in Chinna Bandapalli village,Chittoor,Vinayagan was the youngest of three siblings. He joined ITBP in 2008 and was on deputation with the NDRF’s 8th Battalion. His sisters Aruna and Amuda are married and live in Tirupati.

His father Krishnan,who retired as a security guard,last spoke to him over the phone on June 16. Vinayagan had called to say he was going to Uttarakhand to help in rescue and relief operations.

While Krishnan is grief-stricken,Raniamma is in shock and slipping in and out of consciousness. The parents had fixed his marriage. Vinayagan was constructing a small house in the village and wanted his aging parents to move in with him after he got married.

Vinayagan’s uncle K Singaram,a security guard at Tirumala,said he received a call from his son K Sagar,a CRPF constable posted in J&K,informing him about the helicopter crash Tuesday evening.

“NDRF had informed him first probably because Vinayagan had given my son’s number as emergency contact. After saying that a helicopter carrying Vinayagan had crashed,my son said he would try to come home as soon as possible. That was when I understood Vinayagan was no more although my son said he was listed as missing.”

After receiving his son’s call,Singaram rushed to Krishnan’s house and broke the news. By that time someone had also called a childhood friend of Vinayagan who lives next door. “They could not believe it at first. They kept asking why their son,a constable,was in an air force helicopter,” his friend Sri Babu said.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App