November 13, 2010 12:19:19 am
A special tribunal headed by a Delhi High Court judge on Friday upheld the Central Governments decision to extend the ban on terrorist outfit Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) for two more years.
The tribunal concurred with the governments view in a May 14 notification that the LTTE remained a threat to Indias security,integrity and sovereignty.
Indian soil is being used for unlawful activities propelled by the remnant cadres of the LTTE. There is sufficient material to declare the LTTE as unlawful association as contemplated under the Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act. Therefore,the declaration made by the Central government notification dated May 14 is confirmed, the Tribunals presiding officer Justice Vikramajit Sen said.
The Tribunal said the Centre had successfully established that LTTE supporters in India had been spreading anti-India feeling among Tamils through public speeches and internet
It said the authorities had adduced sufficient evidence to prove that pro-LTTE elements and remnant cadres,with the help of local smugglers,were actively participating in unlawful activities in the country.
Illegal immigration of LTTE cadres through coastal areas,smuggling of narcotics to raise funds and supply of fuel and explosives from the Indian soil are all evidence of the active presence of LTTE in India, the order stated.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.