Follow Us:
Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Freed by Pak,4 Indians land in hospital with schizophrenia

For four Indians who were released along with 13 others by the Pakistan government on June 23 at Wagah,freedom from jail hasn’t meant a reunion...

Written by Lalmani Verma | Lucknow | Published: June 28, 2010 3:17:11 am

For four Indians who were released along with 13 others by the Pakistan government on June 23 at Wagah,freedom from jail hasn’t meant a reunion with their families — not yet. The four have been taken to the Institute of Mental Hospital in Amritsar for treatment of schizophrenia,which could be the consequence of their long imprisonment.

Among them are two from Uttar Pradesh — Iliyas from Fathepur and Shambhuram from Kushinagar.

Institute director Dr B L Goyal said,“Two prisoners belonging to UP and two others from Madhya Pradesh and Punjab were brought to the hospital by police on Friday. The primary investigation suggests that all four are suffering from schizophrenia.” Schizophrenia is a kind of mental illness characterised by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. He said the prisoners have been kept in the hospital,but they would be admitted formally on Monday after the police obtain permission from court.

A hospital employee said that all four had been kept in a general ward under high security. Since relatives of none of them had come,the hospital was providing them food. “Probably their relatives are not aware where they are,” said Dr Goyal.

Along with Iliyas and Sham-bhuram,two other prisoners belonging to UP were released on June 23. They were Mohd Sareen of Tanhar tehsil in Shahjahanpur and Riyazul-deen of Ghaziabad. Officials sources said they reached their homes the same day.

Iliyas’s father Badlu Sah does not know why his son hasn’t come home. On Sunday,men from the Local Intelligence Unit informed him that somebody from the family would have to go to Amritsar and contact the Border Security Force. Since Sah is a small farmer who does not have sufficient money for the journey,his neighbour Salman has agreed to help him and his wife Salma Khatoon to make the trip.

“God knows where he is right now. He left home suddenly eight years back and since then was untraceable. We tried to find him everywhere but in vain. Two days ago,the staff of Lalauli police station informed me that my son was held in Pakistan and had been released,” said Sah.

Salma Khatoon said her son could not have done anything wrong. “He must have crossed the border unknowingly,” she said. Iliyas went missing on morning of April 22,2002. He must be 33 now,said Salma.

Fatehpur SP Vijay Garg said he would send a communiqué to the Union Home Ministry regarding the identification of Iliyas and his parents. “I don’t know why Iliyas has been detained while others were sent to their homes. I will try to speak to the higher-ups and extend the maximum help to the parents to get their son back,” said Garg. (With inputs from Vijaypratap Singh)

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App