Dhule collector proposed no-compensation,CM said nohttps://indianexpress.com/article/news-archive/web/dhule-collector-proposed-nocompensation-cm-said-no-2/

Dhule collector proposed no-compensation,CM said no

The Chief Minister’s Office,however,ignored the recommendation and asked Mahajan to hand over Rs 5 lakh to the family of each of the six.

The Dhule collector recommended that no compensation should be given to the six Muslim men who were killed in police firing on January 6 because they had been part of the rioting mob. Collector Prakash Mahajan appeared to have found the victims guilty even though none of the three FIRs named the six men as having been part of the mob.

The Chief Minister’s Office,however,ignored the recommendation and asked Mahajan to hand over Rs 5 lakh to the family of each of the six.

“The six individuals are not eligible for compensation according to government rules as it has been concluded that the six had taken part in rioting,” Mahajan said in a letter to the CMO on January 18.

Vaibhav Rajeghtage,deputy director,Accounts and Funds in the CMO,wrote back on January 31: “The approved compensation (of Rs 1.21 crore) should be distributed to the next of kin of the deceased,the injured and those who suffered financial damage after proper verification and adhering to the rules…”

Advertising

The collector’s letter was obtained by activist Nisar Tamboli under the RTI Act.

On February 2,Mahajan wrote to the home secretary,arguing that rules did not allow for payment of compensation to rioters. On February 5,the CMO wrote to him saying it had taken cognizance of his letter but he should distribute the compensation.

“You have informed us… that the six dead… are not eligible for compensation… On humanitarian grounds a compensation of Rs 5 lakh from the CM’s Relief Fund has been cleared for them. The money should be distributed to the next of kin…,” the CMO said.

The compensation was handed over on February 7.

Reached for a comment,Mahajan insisted that the six were rioters. Asked why the FIRs had not named them,he said: “The FIR does say there was a mob of 3,000-4,000 people and those who died were part of this mob.”