Cop,on the run after double murder,kills inspector

Cop,on the run after double murder,kills inspector

Kumar,along with his girlfriend Sarita,escaped in a police vehicle

On the run after murdering the husband and mother-in-law of his girlfriend two days after her marriage,dismissed Chandigarh constable Basant Kumar re-surfaced early Saturday morning and allegedly murdered a Chandigarh Police inspector and injured a constable.

Inspector Sucha Singh,who was allegedly stabbed 12 times by Basant Kumar,died at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER),Chandigarh around 7:40 am while constable Jitender is reported to be out of danger.

Kumar,along with his girlfriend Sarita,escaped in a police vehicle.

Kumar and Sarita were spotted by Inspector Singh and Jitender who were patrolling outside the Sector 17 bus stand at 2.15 a.m. The patrolling party did not know the identity of the couple. Kumar told the inspector that the girl was his sister. Not convinced,the inspector asked them to follow them to the Sector 17 police station.


On reaching the police station,Kumar said they were married and the identification papers were in their luggage lying in the bus stand. The inspector and the constable took them back to the bus stand. As soon as they reached the gate of the bus stand,Kumar took out a knife and asked the inspector to let them go. When confronted, Kumar stabbed the inspector several times. He stabbed the constable,too,before driving away in the police vehicle.

Chandigarh Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Naunihal Singh said: “A man-hunt was launched and all police stations were alerted. Though the couple is still absconding,the vehicle was recovered within an hour.”

Constable Kumar was under suspension for unauthorised absence from work when he,on April 18,walked into the police station and sought his SLR and ammunition and claimed he had to produce some undertrials in court. The constable in charge of the armoury,without checking records,issued him the weapon.

Kumar hired a taxi and went to Sonepat and allegedly shot dead Sarita’s husband and mother-in-law. He then fled with Sarita in the same taxi. The driver of the taxi escaped when they stopped at a petrol station in Kandla,Uttar Pradesh. The CCTV cameras at the station recorded the escape. Kumar drove away in the same cab. He was dismissed from service on April 19.

Investigators got the first clue about the couple’s identity from how the woman,later identified as Sarita,addressed the man. When he was about to stab the policemen,she told him,“Bunty rehne de.” Bunty is Kumar’s nickname. Constable Jitender later identified Kumar from his photographs.