Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shindes extended stay in the US even after the Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh in which state Congress leaders were killed,came under criticism from his party with the Congress suggesting the visit could have been cut short.
No tour could be important at this juncture, party spokesperson Bhaktacharan Das told reporters. Shinde led a delegation to Boston for a India-US homeland security dialogue last week. While the visit was officially up to May 22,Shinde stayed back with sources saying that he visited close relatives of his wife in Maryland.
Shindes absence was felt in the wake of the Naxal attack following which the PMO had to take charge of the fallout that included VVIP visits to Raipur. Shinde,however,chose to continue with his visit as scheduled,resulting in the Opposition attacking him over the issue.
At a time when so much of commotion is happening,the gentleman there (Shinde) is on a private trip for past four days when rest of the people from the official trip have come back, BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi said,