The Man who imprisoned three women in his home,subjecting them to a decade of rapes and beatings,pleaded guilty Friday in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro told the judge he was addicted to pornography,had a sexual problem and had been a sexual abuse victim himself long ago.
In exchange,prosecutors recommended Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro,53,said he understood that he would never get out of prison,saying he expected he was going to get the book thrown at me. He later added,I knew that when I first spoke to the FBI agent when I first got arrested.
Castro,who was born in Puerto Rico,said he could read and understand English well but had trouble with comprehension. My addiction to pornography and my sexual problem has really taken a toll on my mind. He later said he had been a sexual abuse victim as a child,but the judge cut him off.
The deal comes more than a month after a statement issued on behalf of the women said they were hopeful for a just and prompt resolution and had great faith in the prosecutors office and the court.
Castro had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on a 977-count indictment,but he was pleading guilty to 937 counts in a hearing that stretched on for more than two hours. The indictment included two counts of aggravated murder related to accusations that he punched and starved one woman until she miscarried. He was also charged with hundreds of counts of kidnapping and rape,plus assault and other counts.