CITU calls off transport strikehttps://indianexpress.com/article/news-archive/web/citu-calls-off-transport-strike/

CITU calls off transport strike

The CPM-backed trade union,CITU,which till Saturday remained firm on going ahead with the proposed July 31 transport strike,today withdrew its 24-hour statewide bandh call.

The CPM-backed trade union,CITU,which till Saturday remained firm on going ahead with the proposed July 31 transport strike,today withdrew its 24-hour statewide bandh call. This a day after all major transport operators decided to stay away from the proposed strike amid Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s stern warning that her government will take tough actions against the striking transport owners.

The CITU and other transport operators had called the strike last week demanding fare hike in the wake of rising fuel prices.

Shyamal Chakraborty,state president of CITU,while announcing the trade union’s decision said Left Front chairman Biman Bose had urged them to withdraw the strike. “We are withdrawing the strike after Left Front chairman urged us not to strike on July 31.” He said the CPM has decided to undertake a massive agitation from August 1 to August 3 against rising fuel prices,which made them reconsider their decision.

Stating that CITU’s U-turn had nothing to do with the chief minister’s warning,Chakraborty said: “We are not bowing to any pressure. The chief minister only prefers to do drama,and criticises us.”

Download the Indian Express apps for iPhone, iPad or Android