Anticipating widespread damage to infrastructure raised for the National Rural Health Mission,the Centre has told the Uttarakhand government to submit a proposal for funds it would require over and above the Rs 228 crore allocated for 2013-14.
We have sent our senior-most people to take on spot decisions about public health measures. Three public health teams have been sent, health minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said. We have assured the state that whatever damage may have happened to health set-ups there,we will sanction additional funds to rectify it.
Given the scale of damage,a senior official in the ministry said,it would be normal for health centres and supplies to have been affected. The state is not yet in a position to estimate the extent of that but we have told the chief secretary to submit a supplementary Programme Implementation Plan for funds which we will get approved on emergency basis.
For now,however,the focus is to provide medical help to people affected by the floods and prevent the outbreak of epidemic,the official said.
The health team led by director of the National Centre for Disease Control that reached Uttarakhand Wednesday has said there is no threat of an epidemic though some cases of diarrhoea had been reported from Haridwar,Uttarkashi and Rudraprayag.
The state,meanwhile,has asked for medical supplies such as melathene,for spraying over accumulated water to prevent spread of dengue and malaria,and 10,00,000 chlorine tablets.