Friday, Jan 27, 2023

Bangalore plot failed as our man panicked: Yasin

Yasin and aide Qateel Ah-med Siddiqui placed five bombs around the stadium before an IPL match.

The Indian Mujahideen (IM) attempt to bomb the Chinnaswamy cricket stadium in Bangalore on April 17,2010,failed because one of the four members who were to place the bombs panicked,key IM operative Yasin Bhatkal,arrested in August this year,has told investigators.

Yasin and aide Qateel Ah-med Siddiqui placed five bombs around the stadium before an IPL match. Two bombs went off at 3.30 pm,just before the start of the game,injuring five people. The three bombs that failed were found planted near the stadium gates.

Yasin,arrested on August 28 from the India-Nepal border,told the investigators the bombing failed as an accomplice from Dharbanga in Bihar briefly disappeared with bags containing two bombs and failed to keep a rendezvous at a bus stand in Tumkur,some 60 km from Bangalore.

He said the disappearance of Mohammed Aftab Alam alias Farook,now 27,who was recruited by the IM in mid-2009 by promising to help him master the Quran,resulted in a loss of time to wire and place the bombs. His account corroborates that of Farook,Gayur Ahmad Jamali and Qateel Ahmed Siddiqui,all from Dharbhanga,who were arrested by the Delhi police special cell in 2011.

Subscriber Only Stories
Replacing addresses with three words… the world of What3words
Delhi Confidential: Pro-public on Republic Day
Meet the woman who found name missing from voter list in UP — and took th...
At DGP meet, officers flag Islamist, Hindutva outfits in radicalisation

According to the accounts of Jamali,Qateel and now Yasin,while the three assembled at the bus stand Farook failed to turn up. Yasin then decided to travel to Bangalore and look for Farook at the railway station there since he had initially suggested it as the rendezvous point.

The group reached Bangalore at around 2 am on April 17 and started looking for Farook. They found him sitting outside the railway station. Farook told the group and later the investigators that he lost his way getting to the Tumkur bus stand and since he did not find the others there,proceeded to Bangalore.

Soon after they decided to proceed towards the stadium,Yasin realised Farook was in a state of panic as he had urinated in his pants. This,according to the accounts of Qateel and Jamali,made him livid and he forced Farook to clean up and change clothes in a toilet.


According to Yasin,two hours were lost in looking for Farook,leaving little time to connect and place the bombs. Yasin and Qateel hurriedly armed the bombs at a bus stand near the stadium and placed them by 5.30 pm.

The Bangalore police have obtained a body warrant for the custody of Yasin to investigate his role in the blast. They are likely to move a Delhi court on November 12 when the 15-day custody with the Delhi police in an arms manufacturing case ends.

First published on: 11-11-2013 at 00:20 IST
Next Story

Show Stealers

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments