June 30, 2013 1:15:42 am
A month after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) filed its chargesheet against four Hindu fundamentalists for their alleged role in the 2006 Malegaon serial blast case,two accused,Manohar Narwaria and Dhan Singh,have moved an application challenging the agencys jurisdiction to probe the matter.
The two have called the NIAs chargesheet false and frivolous and alleged that they were political victims.
In the application,their lawyer J P Mishra,said: How is it that the ATS and CBI carry out one set of investigations and suddenly the whole line of investigations is changed by the NIA? We are challenging the very base of this investigation.
The two said in the application that while this was re-investigation launched by the MHA,a higher courts order was essential. There are several Supreme Court judgments on this. We are basing our arguments on these judgments, said Mishra.
Best of Express Premium
Earlier this week,two of the Muslim men,Asif Bashir Khan and Mohammad Ali Shaikh,who were earlier arrested in the case in 2006,moved a discharge application. Mishra also moved another application Saturday,opposing the discharge application. The NIA has been given time till July 22 to file its reply on the applications.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.