Follow Us:
Saturday, July 21, 2018

10 Naxals surrender in Gadchiroli

The surrender was formalised at a programme presided over by Additional Director General of Police .

Published: December 20, 2013 1:18:21 am

NAGPUR: Ten Naxals,including a deputy platoon commander and four couples,surrendered before Gadchiroli police on Thursday. The surrender was formalised at a programme presided over by Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Ahmed Javed.

“They generally spoke about disillusionment with the Naxal movement,the poor quality of life in the jungles and the couples not being allowed to mix or marry,” Superintendent of Police Suvez Haq told The Indian Express.

Aged between 19 and 32 years,the Naxals had spent between two to eight years in the movement as Dalam members.


Retired army subedar held for spying

Press Trust of India

Barrackpore,Dec 19

A retired Army subedar has been arrested from Barrackpore near Kolkata on the charge of spying for foreign intelligence agencies.

Madan Mohan Pal,who retired as a subedar in 2008,was under watch by the police and other agencies for some months and was arrested Wednesday,DC DD Debasish Baij of the Barrackpore Police Commissionerate said. A local court remanded Pal,53,to 13 days’ police custody.

The police seized a laptop and various other documents,SIM cards and mobile phones from his house at Barrackpore, Baij said,adding that Pal allegedly received calls from foreign countries. Being an ex-serviceman,Pal had access to army canteens,which he visited and got information from by chatting with the people there. He allegedly passed this information to foreign spy agencies over phone,Baij said.

During interrogation,Pal claimed he was under the impression that he was working for the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW),the external intelligence agency of India. He said that he had got the job offer while searching the Internet for employment after his retirement.

He received a call in which the caller said he would work for the RAW and supply information on army camps secretly for corroborating with official information,the armyman told his interrogators.

Pal said he started working for Rs 5,000 a month but got suspicious after a few months as whenever he made calls to his employer,the calls never got connected.

However,he continued and his salary was later increased to Rs 20,000 a month.

He never had to attend any office and he was told that he would have to attend office after two years,Pal said during interrogation.

Baij said investigation was on to know whether the arrested subedar was speaking the truth.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App