scorecardresearch
Wednesday, Oct 05, 2022

US Govt ‘unwilling’ to take sides on Mumbai attack

The Bush administration has said it will let the intelligence experts talk about any 'linkages'.

Unwilling to formally point the finger at who was responsible for the Mumbai terror attacks, the Bush administration has said it will let the intelligence experts talk about any “linkages”.

“…. I will let the assessments about what took place just last week in terms of the terrorist attack in Mumbai — I’ll let the experts in the intelligence community talk about those linkages,” Deputy White House Press Secretary Scott Stanzel said.

“We want to see cooperation by all the parties involved to make sure that we understand what happened last week,” Stanzel said adding US intelligence agency was working with its partners in India and Pakistan to let the investigation go properly.

“It is important to understand everything that occurred, and to investigate fully what happened,” he said.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Key-October 5, 2022: Why you should read ‘Animal Adoption Scheme’ or...Premium
Telangana plot accused had twice tried to join terror outfits abroad, sto...Premium
Split on method to name new Supreme Court judges, CJI sends 2nd note to C...Premium
MNREGA worker breaks national record in men’s 35km race walkPremium

” … the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, as well as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice have been traveling in the region to express our solidarity with the people of India who have been victims of this attack,” he added.

Nearly 200 people including 22 foreigners died in the Mumbai terror attacks on Wednesday last week. Noting that the countries like US have seen the real negative impact and the threat of terrorism over the years, Stanzel said, “We have to work together to make sure that we take on and tackle those challenges and confront the terrorists where they are.”

At Foggy Bottom, the Deputy Spokesman Robert Wood was asked if there is anything new on the Mumbai investigation. “No, I don’t think any update except that, again, we are going to continue to encourage Pakistan to do what it said it would do, and that’s cooperate fully and transparently with the investigation,” Wood replied.

First published on: 06-12-2008 at 09:56:55 am
Next Story

NSG says media got in the way, wants guidelines

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement