scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, December 05, 2021

Zimbabwe-Pakistan 3rd ODI to proceed despite player boycott threats

Zimbabwe Cricket seems to have avoided immediate uncertainty over the fate of the 3rd ODI.

Written by Devendra Pandey | Mumbai |
August 31, 2013 4:07:34 am

Zimbabwe Cricket seems to have avoided immediate uncertainty over the fate of the third and deciding ODI against Pakistan,but with the home players threatening boycott over salary payment issues,the anxiety might shift to the subsequent two-Test series,starting September 3. Also Read: Zimbabwe board has no money to pay for players’ meals in hotel

The Zimbabwe players had boycotted practice ahead of the third ODI,but ZC president Peter Chingoka allayed fears of the ODI series (currently tied 1-1) being disbanded,even as Zimbabwe captain Brendon Taylor sought the solidarity of his Pakistani counterpart Misbah-ul-Haq in the payment issue.

“Players have raised three issues which were subsequently addressed. Three of them had a meeting with the managing director (Wilfred Mukondwa). We hope the management responses are accordingly conveyed to other players. The issue of most urgency is the payment of August salaries and the Bangladesh (series) match fees. We have promised to pay by September 6,’ Chingoka told The Indian Express. Also Read: ‘There is no point comparing Virat Kohli’s salary to Brendan Taylor’s as their contexts are different’

The Zimbabwe players were promised earlier that their salaries and bonuses would be credited by August 28,but it did not happen. As a result,the Zimbabwe players protested by not practicing on eve of their third ODI with the threat to boycott the critical ODI. Also Read: ‘Challenging issues’ force Zimbabwe to call off Sri Lanka home series

Five Zimbabwe members — Brendon Taylor (captain),Prosper Utseya,Elton Chigumburam,Vusi Sibanda and Hamilton Masakadza — are said to have represented the team during negotiations. One player said that Taylor will be having a word with the Pakistan skipper about the series boycott and if required the whole team would stand by the issue. Also Read: Outrage in Zimbabwe over cricketers’ plight,minister seeks ICC,BCCI help

“The players’ moral has been down for a long time now. Even if one guy does not want to play,the entire squad will sit out because we are sticking together. This is not the first time such a showdown has taken place. If such will be the situation then the time is not far off when the players look for other options,” a Zimbabwe player said on condition of anonymity.

Earlier this month,Kyle Jarvis,one of the biggest prospects to have emerged out of Zimbabwe in recent times,elected to retire from international cricket to pursue a county contract with Lancashire in England and with the Central Districts Stags in New Zealand. He had picked up 30 wickets in eight Tests for the national side as a pace bowler.

SL tour rescheduled

According to the PTI,Zimbabwe cricket authorities have called off a home series against Sri Lanka scheduled to start in October,citing unspecified “challenging issues.” Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement Friday that it has received a letter from the Zimbabwe Cricket Board in which it said the tour should be rescheduled to a “future mutually agreed date.’’. The countries were due to play two Tests,three ODIs and two Twenty20 matches.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement