scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, July 02, 2022

Siberian coal mine toll reaches 30,as 60 are still missing

The twin methane blasts that rocked Russia's largest coal mine in western Siberia have killed at least 30 people,with rescuers still searching for 60 missing.

Written by Agencies | Moscow |
May 10, 2010 1:07:53 pm

The twin methane blasts that rocked Russia’s largest coal mine in western Siberia have killed at least 30 people,with rescuers still searching for 60 missing miners trapped at the accident-hit site.

“As of now,30 people have died and 60 people,whose fate is unknown,remain in the mine. We are continuing the search,” Russian Emergencies Minister Sergei Shoigu,who arrived last night on orders of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to supervise the rescue efforts,told reporters.

The explosions,one of which occurred on Saturday evening and the other last morning,took place in ‘Raspadskaya’ coal mine in the Siberian region of Kemerovo,about 3,500 kilometres east of Moscow.

The toll rose after bodies of 18 people,most of them rescuers were recovered from the mine. They included bodies of 17 rescuers,who had gone inside the mine after the first blast,but were themselves trapped inside.

Best of Express Premium
UPSC Essentials: Weekly news express — PGII to POEMPremium
Women’s emancipation or population control? Why abortion was legalised in...Premium
Udaipur killing on video | ‘Do something spectacular’: Man from Pak told ...Premium
In village of fauji dreams, second thoughts, insecurity over AgnipathPremium

Bodies of 12 miners had been recovered yesterday.

Shoigu said that rescue workers brought in Mezhdurechnisk from other coal mining regions of Russia had around 48 hours to save two groups of people,including some of their colleagues who went in after the initial blast,trapped underground at two separate points in the mine.

“Of all the locations and places where miners and rescue workers were working,two of these remain critical,because the drainage system there has been destroyed,” Shoigu was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.

He added that there was no way of lowering water levels in these areas,and high levels of methane gas have raised fears of further explosions and hindered rescue efforts.

Reports said six people are in one location and seven in another and that they could only be reached via shafts.

Investigators also said that 17 bodies,believed to be those of rescue workers,had already been brought to the surface.

UPSC KEY Have you seen our section dedicated to helping USPC aspirants decode daily news in the context of their exams?

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement