NRHM scam: CBI names 7 in chargesheet

The chargesheet pegged the total loss caused to the government at Rs 7.94 crore

Written by Rahul Tripathi | New Delhi/lucknow | Published: April 4, 2012 2:42:30 am

The CBI on Tuesday filed its first chargesheet in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam in Uttar Pradesh against five officials and two suppliers. Although the agency did not chargesheet former minister Babu Singh Kushwaha,it named him as one of the conspirators.

It said Kushwaha,who was arrested last month,conspired with the five government officials and two suppliers in a case related to upgradation of 134 district hospitals under the NRHM scheme.

The chargesheet,filed before special CBI judge A K Singh at a Ghaziabad court,pegged the total loss caused to the government at Rs 7.94 crore. At the time of registration of FIR,the CBI had calculated a loss of Rs 5.46 crore but during investigations discovered that the items supplied by private firms were priced as high as ‘five times’ of the market price.

The agency said the total fund allocated for upgradation of hospitals was Rs 13.40 crore. “Out of this fund,only 32 per cent was spent on purchases while the rest was siphoned off or misappropriated,” stated the chargesheet.

The five officials who were chargesheeted are all from the Construction and Design Services of public sector UP Jal Nigam. They are general manager P K Jain,project manager B M Srivastava,resident engineers Katar Singh and BN Ram Yadav,and accountant J K Singh. Srivastava,Yadav and J K Singh are yet to be arrested.

The two suppliers named in the chargesheet are Naveen Grover,Managing Director of Ghaziabad-based firm Surgicon Medi Equip Pvt Ltd,and R K Singh,proprietor of Lucknow-based firm Modern Enterprises. Both are behind bars.

While Surgicon received Rs 9.93 crore,Modern got a sum of Rs 1.75 crore.

The chargesheet said,“The conspiracy to cheat government funded NRHM was hatched between 2009-10 between the government officials including the then minister Babu Singh Kushwaha and private firms…. The officials who were supposed to carry out market survey before giving the contract never carried out any survey.”

“The rates of items were collected and shown in such a manner that Surgicon is able to bag the contracts…. There is evidence seized during the raids at Surgicon which shows the comparative rates charts were provided to the private firm,thus helping them bag the contract…,” it added.

Out of the 134 hospitals,the contract for 114 hospitals were given to Surgicon while contract for 20 hospitals were awarded to Modern Interiors,according to the chargesheet.

A CBI official said the seven accused were involved in swindling of NRHM funds meant for the maintenance and replacement of electrical appliances in 134 district hospitals across Uttar Pradesh in 2009-2010.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App