June 19, 2011 4:51:58 am
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to disallow its players to be part of the Sri Lankan Premier League (SLPL),which is scheduled to take place on July 18,for the board is still largely unsure of the nitty gritties of the tournament. In an IPL meeting held at the BCCI headquarters on Saturday afternoon,the BCCI chief Shashank Manohar expressed his concern over sending its cricketers to Sri Lanka.
The issue may snowball into a standoff if Sri Lanka Cricket retaliates by pulling the plug on its players participation in the IPL.
A top BCCI official confirmed with The Sunday Express that the Indian players wont be allowed to take part in SLPL. We dont know who is organising it,we are yet to get formal papers about the event. We have only been reading about the SLPL in the newspapers,and about the fact that there are players from India who want to take part in it. Till date though,we havent received any official letter from the Sri Lankan board. There is no authentication about the tournament so far, a top official said on the condition of anonymity.
However,it is reliably learnt that the main reason the Indian board has decided to bar it players from the Island league is because SLC has outsourced their event to Somerset Entertainment Ventures (Singapore) Pvt Ltd, a Singapore based company.
The BCCI,also,are miffed because they werent the first to know that the private company has been negotiating with players from both India and abroad,and earning a commission to represent players in SLPL. Even during the fourth season of the IPL,the BCCI had cut the wings of agents who tried to convince player to represent a certain franchise by procuring a tri-party contract.
The Sri Lankan board first told us that they will be organising it,so the BCCI agree to send those players who are available. So far,we were of the impression that the Lankan board will look after their SLPL like we do with the IPL.
Also,the Sri Lankan board is not an elected board,they are run by the government. Later we heard they brought in a private company to conduct it. We dont know how they will be organising it,and neither do we want another ICL like situation tomorrow, source added.
While many Indian players may have already signed a contract with SLPL,the BCCI is yet to issue No Objection Certificate (NOC) to those concerned. Players such as Irfan Pathan,Saurabh Tiwary and Munaf Patel had reportedly signed with the SLPL,which is a 15 day tournament.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.