According to reports in Australian media,legal documents tendered in the Melbourne court showed that Arthur had felt like meat in the sandwich in the divisive feud between Clarke and Watson. Also read: ‘Clarke termed Watson as cancer on team’
Arthur,who was shown the door days before the Ashes series and two years before his contract was due to expire,has reportedly sought payments and compensation amounting to AUD 4 million or his job back from cricket Australia to the end of his 2015 contract. Also read: ‘Arthur’s claim sounds like sour grapes’
According to documents lodged by Arthur as part of his claim against Cricket Australia,the South African has reportedly detailed some of the dressing room acrimony which marred the teams on-field performances this year.
There was major tension between Michael Clarke and Shane Watson, Channel Seven reported from Arthurs document of claim. The 45-year-old,who was replaced by former Australia batsman Darren Lehmann,had to deal with the rift between Clarke and Watson ever since his appointment in November 2011. Also read: Haddin says dressing room is fine
In the documents,Arthur also claimed that he was racially discriminated against because he was South African and didnt understand the Australian way. Also read: Focus shifts to Lord’s
Arthur,who was under-fire for Australias poor show especially on the India tour and Champions Trophy,and was also criticised because of the disciplinary issues within the camp,claimed that he didnt get the support from Cricket Australia when he and Clarke had dropped four players,including then vice-captain Watson for the third Test in India.
Arthur also alleged that Watson had told him about the bar-room brawl where Australia opener David Warner had punched England batsman Joe Root during the Champions Trophy,which resulted in the Australian batsman being suspended in the teams lead-up games to the Ashes.
Were disappointed it has come to this position,but CA is confident in its position on this matter and Im sure it will get resolved in an appropriate fashion, CA lawyer Dean Kino told Seven.
Watson had earlier denied any involvement in bringing the incident to Arthurs attention,saying it had absolutely nothing to do with me. Arthurs manager,Rossco Barrat,did not like to comment on the pending legal action but said that he was already in talks about landing the South Africans next job.
We believe that Mickey has got a lot to offer world cricket and Im exploring opportunities for him, Barrat said.
Cricket Australia general manager of legal and business affairs Dean Kino said: Were disappointed that its come to this. CA is quite clear on its position on this matter and Im sure it will get resolved in the appropriate fashion.
Sending Warner to Africa defies belief: Border
MELBOURNE: David Warners exile to Africa after punching Englands Joe Root is nothing short of ridiculous,according to former Test captain Alan Border. Warner was to board a plane on Tuesday to join the Australia A team for a tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa where he would have adequate preparation in match conditions,selector John Inverarity said last week.
It defies belief, former Australia skipper Border said in his column in Sydneys Daily Telegraph on Tuesday. I strongly disagree with it. Unless Jimmy Anderson bobs up in the Zimbabwe side,Warner scoring runs wont count for anything, Border added. He would be far better served facing Pattinson in the nets.
Pup barks back,says team is united now
London: Australia skipper Michael Clarke has said that his team had put behind them any friction that had existed during the last few weeks of Mickey Arthurs reign as coach,and has credited new coach Darren Lehmann for instilling this unity among the players. Clarke was responding to allegations made by Arthur that there were rifts within the dressing room,notably between Clarke and all-rounder Shane Watson.
I cant remember for a long time the team being as united as we are right now, Clarke said,speaking to Australian media. And no coincidence Darrens played a big part in that. I think him as a man and a gentleman brings that to the forefront.
Clarke said that he and his players wouldnt let Arthurs comments distract them from their preparations for the second Ashes Test at Lords,which starts on Thursday. Nothing will get in the way of the team harmony at the moment, he said. The feeling around the camp is magnificent.
Vice-captain Brad Haddin echoed Clarkes words. The dressing room is fine. How many times do we need to answer this.
Haddin questioned the timing of the claims made by Arthur,who in his departing press conference had talked about taking responsibility for the teams performances. I fail to see how this course of action is consistent with his words. Im disappointed that this has been released two days before such an important Test match. Agencies