Follow Us:
Monday, July 23, 2018

IPL spot-fixing: Delhi cop who died got first tip-off,traced link

First phone interception was reportedly made by Badrish Dutt,who was found dead with his live-in partner in Gurgaon last week.

Written by Prawesh Lama | New Delhi | Published: May 17, 2013 2:20:42 am

The first phone interception in the IPL spot-fixing controversy was reportedly made by Delhi Police Special Cell Inspector Badrish Dutt,who was found dead with his live-in partner Geeta Sharma in Gurgaon last week. Sources said on the day that he died,his team was scheduled to conduct raids in Gurgaon and Delhi in this connection.

An expert at phone interceptions,Dutt reportedly first got the tip-off about spot-fixing in the current IPL season around the third week of April. Based on this information,an FIR was filed on his complaint against unknown persons,under Sections 420 and 120 B of the IPC.

Dutt informed his seniors,following which about 70 phones,including those of the players and bookies arrested so far,were reportedly put under surveillance. Sources said Dutt had been tapping calls made by a Gujarat-based bookie to his contacts in Dubai and Delhi.

During his phone interceptions,Dutt came across the code name “Jupiter”,and learnt that the bookie was operating from Delhi but had Rajasthan links. The investigating team then reportedly found out that the bookies were in touch with some Rajasthan Royals players.

On May 5,during the match between Pune Warriors and Rajasthan Royals in Jaipur,a Special Cell team was deployed at the stadium to keep a watch. During this time,Dutt and his team reportedly intercepted a phone conversation between a bookie and player.

Later,Dutt reportedly learnt that the May 9 match between Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals at Mohali was also fixed. On the night of May 10,Dutt and his colleague Kailash Bisht met Special Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) S N Srivastava at his office and discussed the matter. DCP (Special Cell) Sanjeev Yadav was also present at the meeting,where it was decided that raids would be conducted in Delhi and Gurgaon. But the next day,Dutt was found dead at Geeta’s house in Gurgaon. The Special Cell had been continuously calling him on his cellphone since the team,led by Dutt,was scheduled to leave for the raids.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App