Despite the uncertainty looming large over Delhis preparations to host the Queens Baton Relay,the organising committee of next years Commonwealth Games in Glasgow has ruled out the possibility of postponing the event and insisted it will be held as planned.
In a letter to the Glasgow 2014 organisers last week,Indian Olympic Association (IOA) acting president Vijay Kumar Malhotra expressed inability to host the event,citing the festive season as the reason. Malhotra also said that with the IOA suspended,it was difficult for him to coordinate the event and hence requested that the relay be postponed. The Baton is scheduled to reach the Capital on October 11 and the relay will be held on October 12 and 13.
However,a Glasgow 2014 spokesperson ruled out such a possibility,saying they had engaged with the IOA over many months before finalising the schedule. The Glasgow 2014 Organising Committee has proactively engaged with a number of organisations including the Indian Olympic Association (IOA),the British High Commission and our international charity partner UNICEF in developing a programme for the Queens Baton Relay during its visit to India, the spokesperson said in an email. This three-day programme has been developed over many months. It has been designed to acknowledge Delhi as the host city of the 2010 Commonwealth Games. These plans have the approval of the Commonwealth Games Federation and are part of a highly-complex Queens Baton Relay 248-day schedule developed to engage with all 70 nations and territories of the Commonwealth… The spokesperson said they will touch base with the IOA and British High Commission to ensure all plans are in place ahead of the event.
IOA meet on Thursday
Meanwhile,the IOA has called for an urgent meeting of its members on Thursday to decide the course of action. I have called a meeting of senior IOA members to take a decision on this issue. Hopefully,well have a better picture of the situation after we meet, Malhotra said.