More than a year after the Commonwealth Games,its Organising Committee (OC) returned Rs 234 crore to the Union governments fund last month. The money was part of the funds allocated to them,which had remained unspent.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had registered criminal cases against former OC chairperson Suresh Kalmadi and other officials for these alleged fraud and corruption in the overlays category. Kalmadi is in jail in connection with the alleged scam.
Though the OC was allocated a budget of Rs 2,049 crore,it did not spend Rs 234 crore marked under the overlays category. It was during the final audit that we found that some money we had not used at all,and we managed to save it. We returned it to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, said OC CEO Jarnail Singh.
Overlays work included the supply of tents,portable toilets,air conditioners and furniture,among others.
The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC),in its report to the CBI,said there was massive corruption in the bidding of tenders for overlay works. Sometimes,the cost was escalated up to 1,400 times,the CVC said in its report.
According to the records available,the OC was sanctioned a budget of Rs 687.06 crore for the overlays works,but they received just Rs 557 crore. The OC could spend only Rs 323 crore till December 31,2011,and the remaining Rs 234 crore has now been returned to the Ministry of Sports.
There is another Rs 83.33 crore that we have to return to the ministry. It will also be done soon. Besides this,we made a revenue of Rs 432.72 crore, said the official.
The official said they paid Rs 150 crore as rent to the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) ,Rs 100 crore as tax,and Rs 105 crore as salary to employees besides Rs 106 crore that was earlier disbursed for the Pune Youth Games.