FIFA rejects Cape Verde WC appealhttps://indianexpress.com/article/news-archive/print/fifa-rejects-cape-verde-wc-appeal/

FIFA rejects Cape Verde WC appeal

FIFA says it informed the Cape Verdean Football Association on Tuesday of the ruling which confirms Tunisia’s place.

Zurich: Cape Verde will not be reinstated in the World Cup after FIFA dismissed the tiny African nation’s appeal in an ineligible player case. FIFA says it informed the Cape Verdean Football Association on Tuesday of the ruling which confirms Tunisia’s place. Cape Verde beat Tunisia 2-0 last month but selected defender Fernando Varela who was serving a four-match suspension for a red card in a previous qualifier. FIFA awarded Tunisia a 3-0 victory by default,reversing the standings at the top of the group. Varela’s red card stayed despite opponent Equatorial Guinea forfeiting that match for fielding an ineligible player.

Injured Torres out of Spain qualifiers

London: Chelsea striker Fernando Torres will not be fit to join the Spain squad next week after injuring his knee during the Champions League win over Steaua Bucharest,manager Jose Mourinho has said. Torres will have a scan on the injury on Wednesday,the club said but Mourinho was confident the problem was not serious. “Our doctor is confident it is not a big injury like (Marco) Van Ginkel’s (out for six months),but we will have to wait for the scans,” Mourinho said. “Torres knows he doesn’t go with the national team. It is a pity for the guy because played very well.”

Bartra may be Puyol back-up

Madrid: The performance of centre back Marc Bartra that appeared to give Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino the greatest satisfaction during Tuesday’s 1-0 Champions League victory at Celtic.Barca spent the close season trying to sign another centre back as a long-term replacement for captain Carles Puyol,who is poised to make his comeback after knee surgery,but Bartra’s polished display in Scotland suggested he may be the answer. He coped efficiently with Celtic’s most dangerous threat,combative Greece international Giorgios Samaras,and did not commit a single foul during the match,even striding forward in the second half and unleashing a powerful long-range drive that forced a sharp save from Fraser Forster.

Work halted at Curitiba stadium

Sao paulo: Building work at Curitiba’s 2014 World Cup stadium has been suspended on the orders of a Brazilian labour tribunal due to numerous and serious safety breaches. “Countless infractions have been committed,in various stages of the building project,” judge Lorena Colnago wrote in her decision. She said there was “a serious risk of workers being buried,run over and of collision,falling from heights and being hit by construction material,among other serious risks”. Work is already behind schedule at The Arena da Baixada stadium and the judge said a new inspection would have to be carried out before it could re-start. Club Atletico Paranaense,in charge of the stadium’s construction,said it will not immediately comment on the judge’s order.