* Usain Bolt,the world’s fastest man,joined world high jump champion Bohdan Bondarenko and double Olympic and world 10,000 and 5,000 metres champion Mo Farah on the shortlist for the male Athlete of the Year award. Bolt,who has won the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) award four times in the last five years,will be aiming to make it three in a row. The women’s shortlist will be released on Tuesday with the winners of the awards being announced during the World Athletics Gala in Monaco on Nov. 16,the IAAF said.
Stars turn Heat on Wizards
* LeBron James scored 25 points and Chris Bosh added 24 as the Heat beat the winless Washington Wizards 103-93 on Sunday night to end a rare two-game slide. Dwyane Wade scored 20 points for Miami,which hasn’t dropped three straight regular-season games since January last year. The Heat had 32 assists on 37 field goals,including all nine of their baskets in the third quarter. In other games,the Pistons beat the Celtics 87-77 to keep first-year coach Brad Stevens winless,Magic had a 107-86 win over the Nets,the Thunder topped the Suns 103-96,the Timberwolves beat the Knicks 109-100 and the Lakers edged the Hawks 105-103.
Wushu players win 6 medals
* Sanathoi Devi and Pooja Kadian had to be content with silver medals at the 12th World Wushu Championship in Malaysia even as India recorded its best ever performance in the prestigious event. Manipur’ Sanathoi lost her final bout in below 48kg category while CRPF player Pooja lost the final of the 70kg category bout. Arjuna awardee Sandhyrani Devi secured a bronze in 60kg,while Chandra (48 Kg) and Ranjan Devri (75 Kg) also secured bronze medals for India. In the men’s competition,Delhi’s Santosh Kumar settled for bronze after losing his semifinal in the 52kg category.
Betis Perquis breaks jaw
* Real Betis defender Damien Perquis broke his jaw in two places following a violent collision that left him unconscious in Sunday’s 3-2 loss at Malaga. Perquis and Malaga striker Fabrice Olinga knocked heads early in the second half,with Perquis falling motionless to the ground before being taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Betis says the Poland center back fractured his jaw in two places,but that he was conscious on Monday. Perquis was set to be transferred to a Seville hospital where he would be evaluated by a specialist. Betis,which is 18th in the league standings,did not give an estimate for how long Perquis will be sidelined.
‘Dopers should come clean’
* Riders and managers who have been involved in past doping practices have been urged to come forward by International Cycling Union (UCI) president Brian Cookson so that the sport can draw a line under its troubled reputation. Cookson said: All such allegations and confessions will be looked at by the new Independent Commission and we would urge anyone concerned to bring forward their information to the Commission. Dane Rasmussen was kicked out of his Rabobank team,while he was leading the Tour de France in 2007,for lying about his whereabouts to doping authorities. Following allegations made by Rasmussen,Canadian Ryder Hesjedal,winner of the 2012 Giro d’Italia,admitted to doping more than 10 years ago last Wednesday.