Premium
This is an archive article published on January 7, 1998

Army widows set to don husband’s uniform

CHANDIGARH, JAN 5: Five years ago, women stormed an exclusive male bastion and donned olive green fatigues for the first time in India to be...

.

CHANDIGARH, JAN 5: Five years ago, women stormed an exclusive male bastion and donned olive green fatigues for the first time in India to become commissioned officers in the Indian Army. Now, they are at the threshold of yet another trail-blazing accomplishment. Sabina Singh and Ravinderjit Randhawa, wives of Army officers who were killed while on active service last year, are all set to don the uniforms that their husbands once wore.

Barring some mandatory medical tests, they have completed all the formalities necessary to obtain a commission in the Army.

The process was not easy, though. Several procedural and administrative hurdles had to be overcome. In addition to being married women with kids, both had crossed the prescribed age limit. Their enrollment became possible through the efforts of the Army Wives’ Welfare Association (AWWA). Both the previous and current presidents of the AWWA, Roy Chowdhury and Ranjana Malik, reportedly helped them out.A one-time waiver on eligibility norms concerning age and marital status was granted by the President, on the recommendation of the Union Ministry of Defence. Both the ladies had appealed to the Defence Minister, Mulayam Singh Yadav, to relax certain eligibility criteria in such cases, when he visited the city a few months ago.“Initially, the authorities were fussy and our applications were not being accepted,” said Sabina, whose husband, Capt Gurmit Singh, had been a helicopter pilot with the Army Aviation’s 12th Independent Flight. “Officials at the Recruitment Branch thought that just about everyone would start applying for commission if they accepted our applications,” added Ravinderjit, whose husband, Major S S Randhawa, then with 2 Rashtriya Rifles, had been recommended for a posthumous Ashok Chakra.Though conditions of age and marital status were waived, there was no relaxation in the selection procedure. After applying for the 12th Women’s Special Entry Scheme (WSES) Course, Sabina and Ravinderjit found themselves in the same batch at No 22 Service Selection Board (SSB), Bhopal, in December.“When the call letters came, it was as if a goal has been set before us,” said Sabina. “At first we were a bit apprehensive about success, but our families stood by us,” said Ravinderjit. They said their parents and in-laws felt it was a good choice and were happy at their success.The SSB was a unique experience. “Though the board treated us like any other candidates, our classmates really wanted us to get through even if none of the others could make it,” said Ravinderjit. “We had to work harder as we were competing with a relatively younger lot. But we were just with them,” chipped in Sabina.

Out of a total of 47 candidates, seven were recommended by the SSB for commission. “It was so exciting….so exhilarating. The atmosphere was really lively and ebullient with joy,” they recalled.Both know that they will be separated from their children during the six-month training. Sabina has a two-and-a-half-year-old daughter named Mehak, while Ravinderjit has a two-year-old daughter, Simran.Sabina is presently teaching mathematics and Ravinderjit English and Social Studies at the Army Public School, Chandimandir. While Ravinderjit has opted for the Army Ordnance Corps, Sabina prefers joining the Army Education Corps If their medical tests are cleared, they will be reporting for training at Officers Training Academy, Madras, in mid-March.

 

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement