Maha Shivratri 2020 Puja Vidhi, Muhurat, Timings, Mantra: Maha Shivratri is celebrated with immense fervour and a pious spirit by devotees of Lord Shiva. The celebrations begin from early hours in the morning and continue till late at night. The day is considered auspicious for spiritual growth.
Mahashivratri Puja Samagri
There are six significant elements that should be used while performing Maha Shivratri puja, and each symbolises a special meaning.
* Bathing of Shivalingam with water, milk and bel leaves epitomises soul purification.
* Vermilion after the bath is a symbol of virtue.
* Fruits offered while worshiping represent the fulfillment of desires and longevity.
* Incense stick burning is a symbol of wealth.
* Betel leaves depict satisfaction from worldly desires.
* Lamp lightning epitomises attainment of wisdom and knowledge.
Mahashivratri 2019 Puja Mantra
In temples dedicated to the deity, many sacred mantra are chanted.
* Shiva Moola Mantra
Om Namah Shivaya॥
* Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushti-Vardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan Mrityormukshiya Mamritat॥
* Rudra Gayatri Mantra
Om Tatpurushaya Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dhimahi
Tanno Rudrah Prachodayat॥
According to Drikpanchang, puja timings and muhurat
Shivaratri Parana Time – 06:54 AM to 03:25 PM
Ratri First Prahar Puja Time – 06:15 PM to 09:25 PM
Ratri Second Prahar Puja Time – 09:25 PM to 12:34 AM, Feb 22
Ratri Third Prahar Puja Time – 12:34 AM to 03:44 AM, Feb 22
Ratri Fourth Prahar Puja Time – 03:44 AM to 06:54 AM, Feb 22
Chaturdashi Tithi Begins – 05:20 PM on Feb 21, 2020
Chaturdashi Tithi Ends – 07:02 PM on Feb 22, 2020
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines