There are numerous definitions of success available in this world. It is a very subjective term and people always have a highly personalised definition of success. According to me, success is living a happy and fulfilled life.
1. Know Your Purpose: I think it is very important to know your purpose in this life. You are not a product of assembly line manufacturing, no matter how much you would like to believe the ‘monkey theory of evolution’. We human beings are much more than instinct driven animals. One way to find your purpose is to ask yourself- what is that one activity or a group of activities that make you feel vibrant, vital and alive about your existence.
2. Be an Observer of life: We have the unique ‘power to observe our lives’ and decide to do more of what we want to do, and less of what we do not want to do. It is very important to discover our purpose, vision, mission in life if we want to get the most out of life and to realise our true potential during our lifetimes. The learned will always be conquered by the learners.
3. Have Big Goals in Life: Believe it or not, human brain is a cybernetic mechanism. It consciously or unconsciously chases any goal or vision we set for ourselves. The process might be inexplicable but it’s real for sure. I do not know what latent universal forces work to make our goals a reality, but I am convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that goal-setting is a powerful medium to tap those resources. Bigger your goal, bigger will be the motivation. Have big goals for what they will make of you in the process of achieving them. Set goals for yourself in the area of health, wealth, relationships and service.
4. Inspire yourself everyday: Motivation is not a vaccination that you take it once and you are done for life. You need to motivate yourself daily. Motivation is like a perfume you should put on yourself every day. When you are inspired you will not mind the challenges life throws at you. You will feel empowered to act on your dreams. I read personal development books for a minimum of one hour every day.
5. Be a Reader: Every problem that you ever faced in life or will face in life has been conquered by someone else. The solution to these problems has been documented in some book. One of the best things that I advise to my clients is to devise their own learning budget. Whatever you are earning try to spend 5-10% of the same on books, success programs and personal development workshops, or something that motivates you, to dream, discover and to live your passion. Try this and see the magical rise in your bank-balance as a result of intelligent choices you would make. Your mind will never function at optimum level unless you give it good stuff to read and contemplate. Novels, thrillers and mommy-porn would never help you in your health, relationships and finances; in fact they would worsen your condition.
6. Master Public Speaking: Public speaking is the fastest way to build a positive self-confidence. And in public-speaking there is always something new to learn and explore. People who know how to speak confidently get faster promotions in their professional lives. They have more customers and are perceived as natural leaders by people around them. I am yet to meet a great public speaker who is poor in his life. It is a learnable skill and anyone who is willing to learn it can master it.
7. Procrastination: If you have to procrastinate then you must procrastinate, ‘procrastination’. Time is the fabric of which our lives are made of. It is a much more valuable resource than money. Time cannot be saved and it can only be invested in meaningful activities or wasted in useless pursuits. Never wait for the right time to begin a right thing; else you will always be waiting. Your tomorrow is designed by what you do today.
8. Be Yourself: You just have one life make sure you do not waste a single moment of your time living someone else’s life or dreams. Love others but make sure no one loves you more than you love yourself. Do not seek social approval for things that are morally right and important to you. You must prefer loneliness over immoral company. Be completely at peace with yourself. If you have feeling of guilt about your past then forgive yourself and make a fresh start.
Also read: Stay thin, axe job blues to stay happy
9. Health: Keep yourself mentally and physically fit. Make sure your work out for a minimum of 30 minutes every day and meditate for 20 minutes every day. Physical work-out builds your muscle mass and keeps your metabolism in a peak state. Meditation is the internal bathing of the body. Exercising is the best health insurance you can take. Remember people who do not make time for health eventually make time for illness.
10. Observe Your Lifestyle and develop great habits: Success is best enjoyed by people who are ethically right. Stop wasting your time on meaningless pursuits. Exercise alone is not enough for health you must watch the food and chemicals you put into your body. Do not eat junk and greasy foods. Also stay away from sleeping disorders by building proper sleep disciplines. Ask people about the good habits they have and they will tell you about the bad habits they do not have. It is necessary not to have bad habits but you need good habits. Your habits create your lifestyle and the results you attain.
11. Take Action: All goals fail without action. Action is the difference between Warren Buffet you know and the Simon Buffet you have not heard of. Hard work will always beat talent. Maintain a daily schedule and then follow it religiously. Observe your actions and improve them every day. Fall in love with taking action and the rewards will take care of themselves.
12: Get Rich: Money gives you the freedom and resources to live a great life. You can spend your time doing the things that you love and delegate the things that you do not love. The world is full of people who spend ten hours every day, 52 weeks a year, and 40 years of their life in a profession that they do not enjoy. Money gives you the freedom to follow your heart.
13. Develop excellent relationships and a powerful network: A loser in the company of a loser does not feel like a loser. An immoral person in the company of an immoral person does not feel his immorality. This is the reason you should surround yourself with people who are better than you. Surround yourself with people who are achievers.
14. Serve People: Your success is measured by the size of the contribution you make to the world. Only human beings can go beyond themselves and serve the humanity. Treat the entire world like your family. Share your happiness with people and help them in overcoming their sorrows and weaknesses. A good life is a life of service.
If you follow these keys, your success in life is guaranteed.
“Success is living life on your own terms.
Living with people you want to LIVE.
Working with people you want to WORK.
Doing the work, you want to DO.
Earning enough money to cover your EXPENSE.
Serving as many people as you CAN
Everything else is a COMPROMISE”.
Siddhartha is the CEO of Success Monks and the current president of India Speakers Forum. He is the author of bestselling books- Love Your Mondays and Retire Young and 60 Keys to Success.
As a motivational speaker, he travels around the country and delivers inspiring talks in the field of personal development and success psychology.
Connect with Siddhartha at http://www.siddharthasharma.com
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines