November 14, 2014 1:56:40 pm
By Dr Aysha Raza
In Arabic, diabetes is called Ziabetes or Dolab or Zalaqul Kulya and Zalaqul Majari. According to Unani Medicine, Ziabetes Shakri is a disease in which the consumed water is passed out through the kidney immediately after intake by the patient.
In this disease the mizaj (temperament) of kidneys becomes haar (hot) because of which they absorb water from blood circulation and send it to the urinary bladder immediately.
According to Unani, there are two kind of diabetes. One is Ziabetes Haar in which acute symptoms of diabetes (with abrupt onset) occur, such as excessive thirst, increase in urination. Another is Ziabetes Barid in which the thirst and frequency of urination is comparatively less.
There is also a classification, according to presence and absence of sugar in urine. Ziabetes Sada is characterised by excessive thirst and increased urination but there is no sugar in the urine. Ziabetes Shakri is characterised by excessive thirst and urination and presence of sugar in urine.
As per Unani, Diabetes occur due to stress, anxiety, strain and tension (Infaalat-e-Nafsania), over-eating, Excessive use of Alcohol or Sedentary Lifestyle
Unani Drugs (Single drugs recommended for diabetes): Magze tukhme jamun, Karela Bark, Magze tukhme neem, Fenugreek seeds, Bail Leaves, Kalonji, Gurmar booti,
Tabasheer, Sarphooka or Gilo)
These above mentioned drugs (single drug) can be taken in a powder form (7-10 gms twice in a day after meal with luke warm water)
UNANI DRUG FORMULATION
1.Qurs gulnar 2 BD with meal with water.
2.Tab. dulabi 2 BD(hamdard) with water.
3.Cap diabetic 2 BD(hamdard) with water.
4.Safoof aijaz 5 gm BD with water (new shama)
Here’s how you should modify your diet to tackle Diabetes
DIET IN DIABETES
1) Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
2) Exercise atleast 1 hour a day like brisk morning walk. Breathing exercise may be helpful.
3) Avoid alcohol consumption and smoking.
4) Control intake of sugar in any form for eg. Potato, Banana, Rice, Cereal and Fruits.
5) Avoid oily food.
6) Stress, strain, tension, anxiety should be avoided.
7) Eat fresh vegetables like Cabbage, Carrot, Radish, Onion, Spinach, Bitter Gourd, Cucumber.
8) Whole grain wheat (Chana, Wheat, Soyabean) should be included in diet.
9) Avoid eating containing sugar like sweets, chocolates etc.
10) Take dairy products like milk and yoghurt.
11) Take diet rich in fibre. Soyabean, oatmeal etc help to control diabetes.
12) Paneer, Egg Whites, Chicken, Pulses, Curd and Fish are great sources of protein.
13) Take sprouted seeds like Chana, <oong etc on regular basis.
Sprouted seeds like Moong, Chana.
Salad: Cucumber, Curd, Radish, Carrot
Soyabean, Methi, Bitter Gourd, Arvi (Arbi)
Lunch (Non Veg)
Fish, Paneer, Prawn
Dinner (Non veg)
Peas, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Ladyfinger, Bittor Gourd, Bottle Gourd, Turai, Parval, Baby Corn.
Barley water, Coconut water, Mineral water.
Dr Aysha Raza (M.D)
Associate Professor A&U Tibbia College
I\C Maternity & O.P.D
All India Teachers Association Delhi
P.G Faculty Association of Indian Medicine
(An Association of Tibbia College Govt. of NCT Delhi)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.