Who doesn’t love to indulge in sweets during winters? For some inexplicable reason, the sweet tooth acquires a stronger craving for dessert delicacies during the cold weather and giving into the temptation can lead to many guilt trips later on.
But what if your sweet cravings could also act as health supplements? Nolen Gur, or Date palm jaggery, is one such dessert! Recommended by celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar, this Bengali sweet ingredient is ”a feast for sore eyes, rusty gut and cramped calf muscles.”
Though it is frequently used in Bengali cuisine, for the new palate, this iron-rich food can be a delicious and healthy addition. ”Nolen Gur gives direct calories, which provide frequent energy to the body,” says Dr Apoorva Saini of Santoshiarogyam Diet E Clinic. The doctor recommends it as a winter sweet for the micronutrients it contains that provide immunity to the body from various infections during the season. Here are some other reasons why you should include Nolen Gur in your diet:
* It improves digestion, which makes it a good option as a post-meal sweet. The gur activates the digestive enzymes and helps clean the intestinal tract.
* Owing to high iron content, it increases the haemoglobin level and helps treat anaemia.
* It is rich in magnesium as well, which regulates the nervous system.
* This natural sweetener is packed with antioxidants too, which protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals.
* This Bengali sweet has simple carbohydrates, which are much easier to digest than the complex carbs of other sugary sweets. Fast digestion helps produce energy and it can help you stay active and refreshed throughout the day.
* It is a storehouse of vitamins and essential minerals like iron, potassium and magnesium.
* 15-20g of it can be consumed daily, according to Dr Saini, to help with weight loss as its high potassium content reduces bloating and water retention.