Uneven dark or light patches on the skin, either excessive colourlation or darkening, is how pigmentation manifests itself. Primarily caused due to uncontrolled secretion of melanin by endocrine glands, pigmenation is also aggravated by sun, wrong cosmetics and oral medications.
The skin discolouration can be very disturbing and one might lose interest in stepping out with even one spot. We should not lose hope however as there are always ways to reduce it or avoid it altogether.
1. Avoid direct sun exposure, keep your skin clean: Dermatologist Dr Navin Taneja says that pigmentation is a common problem and he receives a lot of youngsters looking for a quick solution. “One has to be patient, the skin takes time to heal and get even. There are specific lotions and sun screens to be applied which are medicated and have proven positive results. Remember to avoid direct sun exposure, be careful of your diet, and keep your skin clean.”
2. Replenish your skin: “Dull, sallow, pale, blemished, pigmented dry and dehydrated skin are indications of imbalance and premature aging due to stress, poor habits, exposure to the environment, and of course, improper skin care,” tells Dr. Ipsita Chaterjee, Forest Essentials Ayurvedic skin care expert. “Therefore,” she adds, “In order to keep the skin looking young, radiant and blemish free, your beauty products and treatments must provide exfoliation to remove dead skin cells; epidermal stimulation for new cell growth; antioxidant properties for cellular rejuvenation and repair; improved capillary blood flow; and penetrating moisture and nutrients to replenish all seven layers of skin tissue.”
3. Choose the right product depending on your skin type: Aromatherapist Dr Blossom Kochhar says one must try products according to their skin type and the level of pigmentation. The right pigmentation treatment method and product can differ depending on your skin tone. Hence, while choosing your treatments, make sure you consult your doctor first to find out whether it would be safe for you.
Simple Home Remedies to avoid pigmentation
* Crush few almonds and mix in it two tablespoons of honey. Gently rub this granular paste on the face for few minutes and rinse off with cool water. You can use this scrub twice a week if you have oily skin and once if you have dry skin to keep a check on freckles.
* Mix carrot pulp, Fuller’s earth (multani mitti) to get a thick paste and crush a vitamin C tablet in it. Apply the prepared mask on the face and neck and leave for 20 minutes before washing off. Repeat this regime twice a week to treat pigmentation.
– Dr. Blossom Kochhar
Sharmila Chand is a freelance journalist who loves to write on Travel, Food & Lifestyle. She is also the author of book “Cheers – 365 Cocktails & Mocktails” by Om Books International. She blogs at http://chefnme.com/
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines