It’s easy to pick that bhujia packet off the shelf for your evening snack with tea, but it’s healthy as well as a delightful experience to relish homemade Rice Papdi with a steaming cup of tea.
Rice flour – 3/4 cup (100 grams)
Salt – 1/4 tsp (as per taste)
Carom seeds – less than 1/4 tsp
Black pepper – less than 1/4 tsp, coarsely ground
Oil – 2 tsp (for kneading dough)
Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
Oil – for frying papdi
* Take flour is a big bowl, add salt, carom seeds, black pepper and 1 tsp oil to it. With the help of water, knead soft dough similar to what you prepare for making chapattis
* Pour some oil over the kneaded dough to grease it. Bind it really well and make a one big dough ball. Now wrap this dough ball in thin polythene sheet or cling film nicely.
* Microwave the dough ball wrapped in cling film on highest temperature for 1 minute. Dough is now slightly cooked and has turned a bit stiff as well.
* Unwrap the dough ball and place it over a plate. Knead it immediately until soft. Grease your hands with some oil and knead until soft and smooth.
* Break small lumps from the dough.
* Take one dough ball and roll it out in a thin papdi. Papdi can be rolled out very easily. In case, it is sticking, place the dough ball over a polythene sheet and roll it out thinly. Likewise roll all papdi.
* Place enough oil in a wok and allow it to heat sufficiently. When oil is hot, place 4 to 5 or as many papdis as possible into it and fry on low flame until it turns golden brown in color from both sides.
* Take out the fried papdis in a plate with absorbent paper. Similarly, fry rest of the papdis as well. Sprinkle some chaat masala over the piping hot papdi. Allow the papdis to cool and then store them in any air tight container and relish eating for up to 2 months.
A homemaker in Noida, and passionate about cooking, Nisha Madhulika at 54 started http://www.nishamadhulika.com in 2007. She started her YouTube channel in mid 2011. She is known for making recipes with easily available ingredients. She has posted more than 1100 videos on her channel so far. She is one of the most popular chefs online and was recently featured in YouTube Top Chefs coffee table book.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines