August 15, 2021 5:25:27 pm
On August 15, Independence Day is celebrated day in the country. The day is observed with much fervour and several cultural programmes are held and the flag is hoisted. No Independence Day celebration is ever completed without eating and distributing boondi laddoos. Every Indian has several memories associated with the taste of boondi laddoos.
The Covid-19 pandemic has restricted the usual celebrations. However, that shouldn’t stop you from revelling in the spirit of patriotism and reminiscing your childhood Independence Day memories at home. Chef Ranveer Brar has shared an easy and quick recipe of boondi laddoo that you can make and enjoy at home. Take a look.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s how you can make boondi laddoo at home.
For Boondi Batter
*2 cups gram flour, sieved
*½ tsp yellow food colour powder
*Ghee for deep-frying
For Sugar Syrup
*500 gms sugar
*500 ml water
*2-3 green cardamom pods, crushed
*2 black peppercorns
*A pinch of saffron
*½ tsp lemon juice
*½ cup castor sugar
*Silver varq, for garnish
- To prepare boondi, add gram flour and yellow food colour to a bowl, mix well.
- Add some water and prepare a thick lump-free batter.
- Using a perforated spoon, drop in small rounds of batter into the hot ghee. Deep-fry till they turn golden.
- Remove and transfer to the prepared sugar syrup.
For Sugar Syrup
- Add an equal amount of sugar and water in a deep-bottomed heavy pan.
- Allow the sugar to melt completely, add in crushed green cardamom pods, black peppercorns and saffron.
- Allow it to cook until it begins to thicken.
- Add lemon juice to clean any dirt in the sugar. If the scum comes up then remove it using a perforated spoon.
- Remove from flame and set aside to cool.
- Remove the soaked boondi from the sugar syrup into a thali.
- Mash the boondi a little with your palms, add some castor sugar, mix well.
- Start shaping these into laddoos.
- Once prepared, garnish with silver varq and serve.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.