Updated: July 17, 2020 2:29:32 pm
As much as we love monsoons, there is one challenge that most of us face — hair loss due to the excessively humid weather. Studies have argued that hair has the ability to exchange water molecules with both dry and humid air. During monsoon, the hair reacts with the humidity through molecular changes, driving water molecules towards the hair. As a result, airborne moisture gets absorbed by the hair strands, often making them swell. But the absorption is not uniform. So, one part of the hair might absorb a lot more moisture than another, leading to unwanted knotting, twisting, bending and causing hair fall, mentions skinandhairacademy.in.
There are, however, some remedies to try in order to reduce hair loss during monsoons. For instance, you could try this healthy DIY shampoo, made of baking soda, tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar. Apart from that, you should also keep a check on the foods you eat. Celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar recently shared some food tips to prevent hair loss during the season. Try these foods:
View this post on Instagram
Top 3 foods to prevent hair loss this monsoon – 1. Methi dana – add it to some warm coconut oil, let it cool, then massage your scalp and leave overnight. Can also be added to kadhi and had with khichdi for dinner. Alternately, use it in tadka for veggies like pumpkin or to flavour your raita. The methi dana is especially useful if its a hormonal issue related hair loss (PCOD, etc) as it helps improve insulin response. 2. Aliv seeds (garden cress, halim)- soak them and have them with milk in the night. Or roll these iron rich seeds into laddoos with coconut and ghee for even better results. They also prevent hair loss that comes with chemo treatment. 3. Nutmeg – add a small pinch to milk (along with Aliv) and have it as a nightcap. The Vit B6, folic acid and Magnesium help prevent hair loss and destress. Other ingredients that are useful – Ghee – for its essential fats haldi – for its immuno-boosting properties dahi – for the minerals and probiotic bacteria #monsoon #hairfall
1. Methi dana (fenugreek seeds): You can have methi seeds with kadhi or khichdi at night or use it in tadka for vegetable dishes. Diwekar suggested adding the seeds to warm coconut oil, cooling it and massaging on the scalp. You can leave it overnight. “The methi dana is especially useful if it’s a hormonal issue related hair loss (PCOD, etc) as it helps improve insulin response,” she wrote on Instagram.
2. Aliv seeds (garden cess, halim): These can be soaked and consumed with milk at night. These “iron-rich seeds” can also be used to make laddoos with coconut and ghee.
3. Nutmeg: Add a small pinch of it to milk and have it before night. “The vitamin B6, folic acid and magnesium help prevent hair loss and destress,” Diwekar added.
Here are some other foods she recommended:
1. Ghee, for its essential fats
2. Turmeric, which has immunity-boosting properties
3, Curd, rich in minerals and probiotic bacteria
Try these foods to cure hair fall problems.
Best of Express Premium
For more lifestyle news, follow us: Twitter: lifestyle_ie | Facebook: IE Lifestyle | Instagram: ie_lifestyle
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.