Someday science will provide us incontrovertible proof that bacon is the answer. For each and every day of the year, and especially on the first day of a new year. It will tell us that the meat and the fat in the meat and all those amino acids in the protein that is bacon, combined with the carbohydrates in bread, is a major aid in curing, or at least, alleviating the dreaded effects of too much drink. But, some of us don’t need science. We simply believe in the power of bacon. Which is why we’ve got a couple of recipes below that are simple to make (You don’t want to get too elaborate when you don’t want anything to do with your head, right?) scrumptious, and, of course, feature bacon. There’s also a Bloody Mary soup in there, just so you want to round the breakfast off.
Red Apple, Bacon and Gruyere Cheese Sandwich
Approx. Time: 10 minutes
Multi grain Bread – 2 Slices
Bacon – 90g
Gruyere cheese – 40g
Red apple slices – 100g
Lettuce – 30g
* Stuff apple slices, bacon, and gruyere cheese between multigrain bread.
* Squeeze some mustard sauce all over.
(Recipe courtesy The Pantry, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai)
PBJ & Bacon Amazeballs with Vanilla Ice-cream
Bread Slices – 2 nos
Mixed Fruit jam – 20 gms
Peanut Butter – 20 gms
Bacon Strips – 20 gms
* Smear bread slices with peanut butter and jam.
* Cut the sandwich into four squares.
* Take the bacon, and wrap it around the cut squares using tooth pick to keep the bacon in place.
* Deep fry until golden brown.
* Serve with vanilla ice cream.
(Recipe courtesy Hauz Khas Social, New Delhi)
Bloody Mary soup
Prep. Time – 15 minutes | Equipment required – Hand blender | Serves 2
Tomato – 3
Tomato juice – 500ml
Green chilli – 3
Balsamic vinegar – 1 tbsp
Salt/pepper – To taste
Celery salt/sea salt
* Wash and clean the tomatoes. (It’s the morning after. You need to be told)
* Boil water in a pan and put the tomatoes in it for 30 seconds. Then remove the tomatoes and put them in chilled water.
* Remove the skin of the tomatoes and chop finely.
* Take a pan and put the chopped tomtoes in it.
* Let the tomatoes blend for 2 minutes in the blender.
* Add the tomto juice, and the rest of the ingredients and seasoning.
* Let it cook and check if it needs more lemon juice or chilli.
* Check the consistency and pour into the serving bowls/cups.
* Garnish with sea salt/celery salt
(Recipe courtesy Lavaash by Saby, New Delhi)