June 26, 2020 8:50:13 pm
You have heard about the Ayurvedic benefits of having turmeric milk before going to bed at night. But there is another kind of milk, which if sipped daily before bedtime, can help you sleep better, say experts.
We are talking about “moon milk”, which is milk with Ayurvedic herbs and plants also known as adaptogens.
Health benefits of moon milk
Among the herbs in moon milk is ashwagandha, known to have positive effects on the endocrine, cardiopulmonary, and central nervous systems, with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Studies have found ashwagandha to reduce stress and anxiety in adults, inducing sleep. One such study published in Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine stated it improves the general well-being of adults who are under stress.
Ashwagandha also improves sleep quality and sleep onset latency (the amount of time taken to fall asleep after lights are turned off) in people with insomnia, as per a 2019 study in Cureus.
Ayurvedic herbs in moon milk also help in boosting immunity by enhancing natural killer cells, an important aspect of the innate immune response to infections, according to a 2010 study published in Phytotherapy Research.
How to make moon milk
Try this recipe for moon milk:
1 cup – Milk of choice (whole, almond, coconut, etc.)
½ tsp – Ground ashwagandha powder
½ tsp – Ground cinnamon
¼ tsp – Ground ginger
Ground nutmeg (A pinch)
1 tsp – Coconut oil
1 tsp – Honey
* Heat milk in a pan and bring it to a simmer.
* Whisk ashwagandha, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in the milk. Let it simmer for about five minutes.
* Stir in the coconut milk.
* Now pour the moon milk in a cup and sweeten it with honey and drink it before going to bed.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.