If you are looking to add a twist to the regular idli that you love, you can try making spot idli. These idlis are quite famous in Hyderabad. What is more? They can be made from non-fermented instant idli batter, on a simple pan instead of an idli maker.
What further distinguishes special Hyderabadi instant spot idlis is that they are not steamed but cooked in a delectable masala mixture, making them deliciously crispy on the outside and soft inside.
MasterChef runner-up Neha Deepak Shah recently shared an easy recipe for Hyderabadi spot idli that you can try at home.
Instant spot idli recipe
1 cup – Sooji/Rawa
½ cup – Yogurt/curd
1 cup – Water (This may vary slightly)
Salt to taste
½ tsp – Eno for each batch
1 – Medium sized onion, fine chopped
3 or 4 – Garlic cloves
½ tsp – Ginger, fine chopped
2 – Small green chillies
1 – Tomato, fine chopped
2 tsp – Karam Podi (If you don’t have podi, just use dhania powder, mirchi powder & turmeric)
2 tbsp – Butter for each batch
View this post on Instagram
One of the most popular food in Hyderabad. Originally this is done with the Rice & Urad Dal Batter but I like to make it quicker & in an Instant way using Sooji / Rawa. It is spicy & soooo good. Don’t go by the simple looks of this dish, it is sooooooo yummmy. Pure comfort in a plate. Ingredients 1 cup Sooji / Rawa 1/2 cup yoghurt / curd 1 cup water (This may vary slightly) Salt 1/2 tsp eno for each batch 1 medium sized onion, fine chopped 3 to 4 cloves of garlic 1/2 tsp ginger, fine chopped 2 small green chillies 1 tomato, fine chopped Chopped coriander 2 tsp Karam Podi (If you don’t have podi, just use dhania powder, mirchi powder & turmeric) 2 tbsp butter for each batch #Hyderabad #Idli #recipe #EasyRecipe #Breakfast #Delicious #Yum #Tasty #GoodFood #India #Indian #SouthIndia #Andha #Foodies #Foodie #InstaChef #ChefsofInstagram #Instafood #Instagfoodie #yummy #homemade #nehadeepakshah
* Take some rawa or sooji in a bowl. To this, add yogurt or curd. Mix the ingredients well with a spatula.
* Keep adding water bit by bit to make a smooth batter. Do not add all the water at one go.
* Once mixed well, cover the batter and rest it for 30 minutes.
* After 30 minutes, add some salt to it and mix. Keep aside.
* In another bowl, pour a part of the batter. Set aside.
* Heat some butter in a pan. You can also use oil or ghee.
* Now add onion, garlic, green chillies and ginger. Cook until fragrant and the colour of onion turns darker.
* Add tomatoes and cook.
* Add karam podi powder (made by roasting lentils on low flame). Cover and cook for about a minute or two.
* After this, add chopped coriander leaves and salt and mix.
* Divide the masala into parts.
* In the batter bowl that you set aside earlier, add some Eno and whisk it well.
* Add two spoons of batter on one part of the masala in the pan. Now cover and cook it for about seven to eight minutes on low flame.
* Check if the idlis have been cooked and then flip them. Cook on the other side for about two to three minutes. Your Hyderabadi instant spot idli is ready.
For more lifestyle news, follow us: Twitter: lifestyle_ie | Facebook: IE Lifestyle | Instagram: ie_lifestyle
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines